Phosphate in live rock bin

kharmaguru

All I Want is Wingstop
Premium Member
Lol, that's a beauty.

phosphate.jpg

Sounds similar to Zeobak

I’ve used Zeobak n it drastically reduces mulm in the aquarium and results in overall increased health

Would like to try this

Maybe I’ll throw some in my rock vat n see what happens, it’s nasty in there anyway

Does Lanthium chloride have the ability to pull phosphate that’s bound up in rocks?
My guess is it would bind with what's available in the water but do nothing until more leached out of the rock. So a 100% water change would probably do the same thing.

Does Lanthium chloride have the ability to pull phosphate that’s bound up in rocks?
I don't know if that's the right way to look at it, but it will precipitate out if the water. Because an equilibrium is always being sought, that will draw PO4 out of the rocks, which will them precipitate out as well. It's not technically pulling it out of the rock, but will have the same effect.

Personally I would just use water changes to reduce it. LaCl is not going to have any effect on what's tied up in biofilms and sponges and biofilms modify the sorbtion properties of the surfaces they're living on. Water changes will also lower the unfavorable types of hydrophillic DOC that can promote pathogenic shifts in coral microbiomes.

Sponge symbionts and the marine P cycle

Phosphorus sequestration in the form of polyphosphate by microbial symbionts in marine sponges

From the introduction of this paper:
"Organic matter is masking the original mineral surfaces and
thus, these surfaces change their sorption behaviour drastically."

Back