Phosphate in live rock bin

At what level does PO4 create a problem in a reef tank? I'm currently at 0.28 ppm after adding new aquacultured live rock.

.28 would definitely fall in the problem category (algae growth, inhibition of calcification) if it stays there. Under .1 is a good target to me, but many like to be.03 or under (but not zero). I find phosphate fluctuates alot in my system but generally sits around .04.

Something to consider as well is how you store your Hanna test vials. The best practice is to store them full of DI water between testings. Storing them dry can lead to false high reading on the first test because of leftover contamination. I've had a reading as high as .43 on the first test when I used to store them dry. Never a problem now.

Something to consider as well is how you store your Hanna test vials. The best practice is to store them full of DI water between testings. Storing them dry can lead to false high reading on the first test because of leftover contamination. I've had a reading as high as .43 on the first test when I used to store them dry. Never a problem now.
Thanks for the tip Sean đź‘Ť

Low (<.03) is worse than high (>.2). High affects calcification but does not appear to affect a corals photobiology while low directly affects a corals photobiology and can cause a coral to bleach. (For those interested the "low" number is determined by research done at Southhampton University with a variety fo corals mainteined in a common reef ssytem, "high" number is the level most of the ocean is at.)

WHen we think of phosphorus we need to think in terms of Particulate Organic Phosphorus, Dissolved Organic Phosphorus and Dissolved Inorganic Phosphorus even though we can only test for inorgainic or PO4. As I see it since there's so much we can't test for we really need to look to research to better understand what is going on in our tanks and question what's been parroted and the dogma that's developed.

Here's and article and video by Rich Ross. PO4 level in his acro dominate ssytem is over 1.0 mg/l.

Here's the research done by SOuthampton University in England showing an imbalance in nitrate and phosphate causes serious harm to corals and shows PO4 should be kept above .03 mg/l to minimize the risk.

An Experimental Mesocosm for Longterm Studies of Reef Corals

Phosphate Deficiency:
Nutrient enrichment can increase the susceptibility of reef corals to bleaching:

Ultrastructural Biomarkers in Symbiotic Algae Reflect the Availability of Dissolved Inorganic Nutrients and Particulate Food to the Reef Coral Holobiont:

Phosphate deficiency promotes coral bleaching and is reflected by the ultrastructure of symbiotic dinoflagellates

Additional Phosphorus links:

ffects of phosphate on growth and skeletal density in the scleractinian coral Acropora muricata: A controlled experimental approach

High phosphate uptake requirements of the scleractinian coral Stylophora pistillata

Phosphorus metabolism of reef organisms with algal symbionts

Fig 4 from "Phosphorus metabolism of reef organisms with algal symbionts"
DIP DOP POP.jpg

Back