Phosphate Test Kit/Instrument?

The "best" is probably the Hanna 736 checker, but even that is not especially accurate when you are focused on very low levels. People try to overly interpret the readings, IMO.

I also like the Hach PO-19 kit, which I have checked for accuracy, but it doesn't read as low of levels as the Hanna.

Thanks Randy, I think I am going to go with the Hanna 736. Good price and it seems popular on RC. :)

Okay I see there is a “phosphate” and a lower “phosphorus” Hanna meter. BRS only has the phosphate meter would this be okay or should I get the lower phosphorus meter?

Never mind"¦Randy you already answered this questions. I am going to get the Hanna 736
phosphorus meter.

And as pointed out above, that +/- 5 ppb phosphorus is +/- 15 ppb phospahte.

So any reading from 0.00 to 0.03 ppm phosphate could be considered equivalent. :)

sorry to hijack but what is the difference in phophate meter and phosphorus meter? dont we need to measure phosphate in a reef? and if u were to get a phosphorus meter how does that help in knowing phospahtes in ur water?

sorry to hijack but what is the difference in phophate meter and phosphorus meter? dont we need to measure phosphate in a reef? and if u were to get a phosphorus meter how does that help in knowing phospahtes in ur water?

the phosphorus meter is supposed to give you a lower reading of phosphates than the 713 meter.

There is no actual difference in what they detect, which in both cases is only inorganic phosphate. Hanna just uses it as a marketing thing, probably to make the 736 look like it can detect a lot lower levels than the 713 (it does, but only a little) and kits others sell.

Back