Photo period

I am interested in photo periods. I know this is kind of a beaten horse issue but,I think it's always a great refresher.
The last 2 years I have been using 2 Kessil A360's and T5 ATI combination. I get color and shimmer. Plus the advantages of both types of lightning.
Photoperiod seems to be a bone of contention for many aquarists. My photo period is for an extended period of time but my max is short. I am reading people with 6 hours of photoperiod are experiencing amazing growth with less light. Has anyone found this the case?

So,let me ask what should otherwise be an easy question.
My photo period is 6am till 11 at night. But,...my Kessil's are programmed at 6am all blue at 5℅, ramping up all day until 5pm when they're at 50℅ color 85℅ intensity for an hour then ramping down to "0" around 11. At 530 my T5's turn on until 10 while the Kessils are at peak. Too much light?

So you just have the blues on low till 5 (essentially a "moonlight") .. Then turn on colors and t5 for 6 or 5 1/2 hours.. ?
Thats fine really...

Well,they ramp up to peak out at 50℅color (50℅w50%b) and 85℅ intensity. Plus the T5's. It's making me question my own techniques.lol. this discussion in particular.

Tough to speak to too much or not enough light intensity without PAR reading, especially with a mix of fixtures that most other reefers wouldn't have.

As for photo period, the zooxanthellae need 5 to 7 hours of good intense (PAR of 200) light to do photosynthesis. A longer photo period doesn't help the coral, but it doesn't hurt it either... unless it gets to be so much that the dark period is too short (like 6 hours).

Back