Picked up a Lubbock's Fairy Wrasse...weee...

1DeR9_3Hy

Ill get some pics once he gets acclimated. Hes going into a 29 gallon QT with 40 lbs of LR and a glass top.

This is my first "step up" fish (something other than a damsel or clown), anything in particular i should be doing? He was eating frozen brine at the store, but it was a little timid because there was a wrasse twice his size in the same tank...so it was mostly hiding under a large rock.

You'll really like this fish. My first fairy wrasse was a lubbock's too. I hope you don't still have the damsels you mentioned keeping. This wrasse is quite shy. When I got my second one he got picked on constantly and hid for a week before coming out. Eventually he got killed by an aggressive sixline wrasse. Make sure that the you only have peaceful fish. Good luck!

Lucky for the damsel he is the an A-typical damsel. Or else he would have been long gone (I had 6....). Im more worried about the clowns, they get fiesty with the damsel sometimes...so im hoping thats only because they are closely related and not a an ongoing thing.

Its been 24 hours and he is still pretty much hiding, staying in a cave on the bottom of the QT tank.

He does swim around, mostly to hide from me i guess...i broadcast fed some frozen brine and i could see it make a quick motion when the cloud came near it. But to be honest, i could not see a feeding response or anything close.

I know its only been 24 hours, but im used to my new fish eating by now...should i be trying something different?

Lubbock's are really hidey, even after they get comfortable. They are really hardy, so don't worry -- he'll be fine. The main reason they die is from jumping -- keep a lid on it!

Like above posts mention, keep a close eye on aggression from other fish -- mine jumped after too much abuse from a lyretail anthias.

Oh, and make sure it can't jump out of the tank. Did I mention that?

Cool fish, though. Underrated, IMO.

Well that makes me feel better:

DSCN1414.jpg

Here is a crummy pic of where it hides in the little nook.

One of the whimpier fairy wrasses, IME. But I agree, TOTALLY underated!

Mine is over three years old now.

Lubbockswithgorgonian.jpg

LubbocksFairywrasse.jpg

Wow...beautiful fish. What does he eat? *looking down the road* how would i go about getting a female with him? Is that possible?

Mine eats everything I toss in the tank.

I have not tried to add any females.

Very nice, keep in mind that they will have a lot of color variation depending on where they were collected.

This one I photographed in Bali:
C_lubbocki1.jpg

And this one at the Philippines:
C_lubbocki2.jpg

You folks keep posting those beautiful wrasse pictures I may end up getting another tank just for wrasse before the upgrade. :)

Very nice, keep in mind that they will have a lot of color variation depending on where they were collected.

This one I photographed in Bali:
C_lubbocki1.jpg

And this one at the Philippines:
C_lubbocki2.jpg

i have kept both of those varients and i have seen two others...cool fish one of my favorites

Just checked in on him again, and again i fed some brine shrimp/bloodworm mixture to his area in the tank. Because of his location i still can not verify he is eating...i will have to setup a flashlight to shine into the cave so i can see better before i feed tomorrow.

At any rate, the body is in good shape the stomach is still rotund, the fins are in great shape and it does not appear to be in any distress. I guess just time is all it will take to get him to warm up to eating out in the open.

Also, Luiz...awesome photos. Thanks for sharing! I beleive i have the Bali variant you posted.

i have had a lubbcock for about 2 years. for the first few days he hid, but ultimately the call of all that tasty food the other fish were getting brought him out.

yeah mine hid for a few days after i got him...great fish soo much color mine was sooo fat then he jumped through a small hole in my tank......ran in the front room when i heard the noise...but the dogs got to him before me....UGH....so yeah even though they are super duper fat they can still jump..

Back