Pictures of my 90g 4 months old...

I'm using T5's NEP
blue lights goes on at 12:30pm
at 1pm all lights goes on.
at 9pm white lights goes off
and at 9:30 all lights goes off and refu lights goes on...

So your light is a total of Nine hours?
Seems a little light for t5 i would increase a little ata a time.
I switched from metal halides to T5 an run them for 12 hours Actinic and 11 hours daylight

Are your corals just getting light? or spots are bleaching?
Do you Feed them? Cyclopeeze? Snow? they may need food with the shorter light period.

Last edited:
So your light is a total of Nine hours?
Seems a little light for t5 i would increase a little ata a time.
I switched from metal halides to T5 an run them for 12 hours Actinic and 11 hours daylight

Are your corals just getting light? or spots are bleaching?
Do you Feed them? Cyclopeeze? Snow? they may need food with the shorter light period.

yeah total of 9 hrs a day not enough lights?
i got two sps starting to bleach one is just at one spot and the other is bleach from the back.
i do feed them oyster feast and DT's...

hey everyone i need some help i don't know what to do anymore. here are some pictures of my corals.

a month ago; blue tip acrop
IMG_1008-1.jpg

here a pictures that i took it today
IMG_0954.jpg

maybe 2 1/2 mouths ago
IMG_0934.jpg

today
IMG_0951.jpg

month ago
IMG_1006.jpg

today
IMG_0956.jpg

3 1/2 months ago
IMG_0973.jpg

today
IMG_0952.jpg

today when i got home i found this one dead.
IMG_0946.jpg

Last edited:
water para are fine.

salinity 1.025
ph 8.1
cal 430
alk9.5
mag 1250
nitra 0
nitre 0
ammonia 0
temp 79

dosing cal twice a week
dosing alk twice a week
dosing mag once a week

one drop every day os lugo's and adding aquavitro fuel twice a week.

water change every two week.

am i doing something wrong here. trying keep as simple as possible..

did you make your sump or buy it?if so what is the name? im looking to get a new sump and i like that design and dimensions alot.

Sorry about your corals and fish. Maybe trying bumping up Alk a few points? I'd also increase light duration a few hours.

If your lights are too intense I know that can cause bleaching. What lights are you using? Watts? How many bulbs?

good luck. i had the same thing happen a while back and i never figured it out.

reef tanks are complex creatures.

yeah i guess it's not easy to understand this creatures lol

If your lights are too intense I know that can cause bleaching. What lights are you using? Watts? How many bulbs?

it's a T5 light system i don't know how much watts pushing.. 6 bulbs

Sorry about the dead fish, the tank has really progressed well though, very nice work

thx. just really mad because of my blue tip acrop... but everything else is doing good..

i hope someone out there, would be able to help me... i really don't know what i'm doing wrong....

Have you tried asking about your SPS issues in the SPS forum?

I'm not the one to ask, but I'm guessing you might have either lighting issues or stability issues. Your light may look bright, but actually not be producing enough par for certain SPS corals (particularly w/stock bulbs). Also, your dosing methods may be causing parameter swings that SPS don't like. There is also the possibility of pests, although I note that you do dip your corals. Maybe you could purchase (or borrow) a macro lens for your camera (maybe 100mm?) to get good closeup images for inspection. All things you might want to ask in the SPS forum.

I'm sorry about your fish! It's often really hard to determine why one has died. Could be disease, stress from harassment, nutrition, collection method....anything!

I wouldn't despair. Your tank looks great, but in this hobby things wouldn't be normal if something didn't go wrong! You'll get to the bottom of it!

Edit: Just thought I'd add that you might want to avoid making any sudden changes (for example, raising your alk) while trying to fix things. Often the corrections need to be made gradually in order to keep things from getting worse. Also, are you using a refractometer to monitor your salinity?

Last edited:
Have you tried asking about your SPS issues in the SPS forum?

I'm not the one to ask, but I'm guessing you might have either lighting issues or stability issues. Your light may look bright, but actually not be producing enough par for certain SPS corals (particularly w/stock bulbs). Also, your dosing methods may be causing parameter swings that SPS don't like. There is also the possibility of pests, although I note that you do dip your corals. Maybe you could purchase (or borrow) a macro lens for your camera (maybe 100mm?) to get good closeup images for inspection. All things you might want to ask in the SPS forum.

I'm sorry about your fish! It's often really hard to determine why one has died. Could be disease, stress from harassment, nutrition, collection method....anything!

I wouldn't despair. Your tank looks great, but in this hobby things wouldn't be normal if something didn't go wrong! You'll get to the bottom of it!

Edit: Just thought I'd add that you might want to avoid making any sudden changes (for example, raising your alk) while trying to fix things. Often the corrections need to be made gradually in order to keep things from getting worse. Also, are you using a refractometer to monitor your salinity?[/QUOTe

thx for you help... about my light i think should be fine; too many people out there are using the same fixture without any problems. i trying to buy a doser pump so i don't have to do manually. i have been checking my water every other day and no swing, the only swing i had was the PH and i thought that i had a swing with my alk too but i was wrong. i have test my water with three different test kit and they are all very similar

Last edited:
thx for you help... about my light i think should be fine; too many people out there are using the same fixture without any problems. i trying to buy a doser pump so i don't have to do manually. i have been checking my water every other day and no swing, the only swing i had was the PH and i thought that i had a swing with my alk too but i was wrong. i have test my water with three different test kit and they are all very similar

Yeah, you're right, probably not an issue of too little light...might even be too much light, now that I think of it, depending on what kind of lighting your corals were under at the LFS. These SPS are fickle.

I kept some in my 29, and they were maintaining pretty well until around the time I noticed my alk starting to drop to around 7 dKH. I started to dose baking soda by pouring it (dissolved in a cup of RO/DI water) slowly into my sump once a day. I'm afraid I may have poured it in too quickly though. One day my flame angel started to breathe rapidly, and died soon after. My two coral banded shrimp followed the flame angel (too slowly...the damage was irreversible). I posted a question about the situation here on RC, and someone suggested I dosed alk too rapidly, and that this may have caused a sudden but brief pH spike that caused serious damage. I lost my birdsnest soon after, and my other SPS got very light.

I guess what I'm suggesting is that even though I didn't dose my alk to a high level, I probably dosed it the wrong way. This may have caused brief (hence undetectable) rapid parameter swings that did the serious damage to my tank.

This may or may not apply to your situation - then again, maybe it does. FWIW!

Oh, and about the refractometer...?

Last edited:

Yeah, you're right, probably not an issue of too little light...might even be too much light, now that I think of it, depending on what kind of lighting your corals were under at the LFS. These SPS are fickle.

I kept some in my 29, and they were maintaining pretty well until around the time I noticed my alk starting to drop to around 7 dKH. I started to dose baking soda by pouring it (dissolved in a cup of RO/DI water) slowly into my sump once a day. I'm afraid I may have poured it in too quickly though. One day my flame angel started to breathe rapidly, and died soon after. My two coral banded shrimp followed the flame angel (too slowly...the damage was irreversible). I posted a question about the situation here on RC, and someone suggested I dosed alk too rapidly, and that this may have caused a sudden but brief pH spike that caused serious damage. I lost my birdsnest soon after, and my other SPS got very light.

I guess what I'm suggesting is that even though I didn't dose my alk to a high level, I probably dosed it the wrong way. This may have caused brief (hence undetectable) rapid parameter swings that did the serious damage to my tank.

This may or may not apply to your situation - then again, maybe it does. FWIW!

Oh, and about the refractometer...?

i got a refractometer...

i haven't got a doser yet, but i'm dosing slowly with a dripper..

H.veras
water para are fine.
one drop every day os lugo's and adding aquavitro fuel twice a week.

Are you sure you system can handle a drop of lugols every day.
I ahve alot more coral than that and use the dilute Iodine solution from kent marine every other week and even that is not neccesary with water changes.
I would reccommend checking your iodine levels as you may be inadvertently poisioning your critters.

Back