Pictures of my pink leather...finally!

OrangeKoi

I think I've got these pictures figured out.

My first saltwater tank...

nano2andhalfgallon.gif

My first leather coral? What is it? Is it killing all the other occupants?
pinkleathercoral.gif

Thanks for your patience. I'm learning alot. I really love the diy. so cool. If I run the 30 sec modified timer interval on my refugium, will that be ok?
refugium.gif

A bit confused, you say its a pink leather but you ask what it is.
What other inhabitants do you have in your tank?
What lighting do you have to maintain this coral?
Is there a question about your filter?

Also, I was just thinking there should be more critters, that's why I wondred if it would kill anything around it. I remembered reading that corals are territorial that way. It is what is referred to as a hitch hicker I believe.

Then, I heard you look for critters at night. So I did. I saw a worm thing. The next day it looked like it was hanging out of its hole dead. Funny thing is it was not dangling an hour later and that night there were 2 worms.

So I guess it isn't killing anything. I'm just glad I keep seeing new forms of life that are good for each other. Hopefully.

It's interesting.

That's about the oddest looking leather coral I've seen. Have you touched it? Is it soft, and squishy? If so I would think more likely Family Neptheidae.

squishy!

squishy!

:)

Hmm. I have tried not to touch it. It is doing pretty well going through the cycle, though it does have a little white in the middle (most of which it started with when I first saw it). It is definitely wavy, you know, it moves as the waves go. It bends over when i move the rock it is on, as if it were palpable...Yes, I'd have to say it is squishy. It does a serious clam up at night when the lights go out. It balls up as small as it can get. It almost looks like another branch is unfolding too.

So here's my next question. I want to move it to a little bit larger tank. I have an 18" shelf, so the biggest I can go without loosing light is 5.5 gallons. If I set that tank up, put in the bottom dirt and arragonite, the same as I have in the little one, fix up my refugium, wait until the levels are stable, then take 1/2 of the water out, replace it with the contents of the little tank including the bottom, top it off with aragonite, that shouldn't be too shocking as long as I acclimate should it?

OrangeKoi, where in Va do you live? There is a reef club inNew River Valley Blacksburg area, Roanoke area and Richmond area with good people that have meetings almost monthly. Welcome. Michael R

5.5 gallon

5.5 gallon

Thanks for the welcome ReefDad. It would be great to get to one of those. I'm in Northern Va.

Graveyardworm, Thanks, I think you are right. I got some books from the library and I'm going to the LBS today to check out what they have. Not much I haven't read in the library. But some are worth a second read.

Tree coral, hmmm, just what I've always wanted. Have to see what I can do.

Oh, the dirt is what the call filtrationn dirt. It gets put into refugiums with the crushed coral , under sand beds. Right? I don't really know what I'm doing. Help me here?:rolleyes:

So you are some distance from us but there is WAMAS Washington Area Marine Aquarist Society. Very lucky to be so near them. Michael R

Back