Piscine Energetics

blasto_master

Is this the real deal of frozen foods??? I was wondering could this keep a copper band alive??? I have heard alot, but could someone fill me in about this stuff and where to buy it for a good price.

Blasto,

Yes it's the real deal, my fairy wrasses, angles, clowns go nuts for this stuff. I have heard people with finicky mandarins have good luck with feeding them PE mysis as well. Of course I also supplement with formula one, new life spectrum pellets, & enriched brind shrimp. PE flash freeze the mysis whole so they are not chopped up and probably more enticing to the fish. Just my 2 cents...

Absolutely the very best food you could feed your fish and reef inhabitance.
Of course that is just my opinion.

what does it look like - what's the "structure" of it? I'm looking for something that I can put in a cap or other small container (something that won't float out) and put some netting over it so that only my slower feeding copperband butterfly can get at it.

Ibreefn,

The mysis are frozen whole and they are probably about an 1/8" to 3/16" long. When you thaw them they will break apart into individual whole shrimp, if that makes sense...

Sort of :rollface: Maybe someone will post where this is sold or a pic. Right now it sounds like it might not be able to float up through netting.

Thanks!

I've fed other brands of mysis in the past and bought some PE Mysis to see what all the talk is about. Quite honestly, I have not seen my fish go after any other food so aggressively.

I bought some from Drs. Foster and Smith -- here's a link to the product on the DFS website.

And now... You asked, and I just happen to need to feed my cardinals here at work. It's a slow Friday... Here's a pic of the frozen cube, what it thaws out to be, and the size in inches (that's the 3" mark where it starts -- so roughly 1/2" in length "folded") of one of the mysis. Yes, it is "folded" in half (hard to unfold one without tearing it) and I didn't really count the length of the antennae.

Attachments

• PE_Mysis_frozen_small.jpg
    PE_Mysis_frozen_small.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 0
  • PE_Mysis_thawed_small.jpg
    PE_Mysis_thawed_small.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 0
  • PE_Mysis_size_small.jpg
    PE_Mysis_size_small.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 0
PE frozen mysis r great food. i feed my tank with about 6 cubes every nite. they actually go after them and eat them. i also tried feedin formula 1 and 2 the fish seem to not care too much for them. i think www.marinedepot.com is cheapest for them. tehre sellin it for 40 bucks for 40 oz block

I've fed other brands of mysis in the past and bought some PE Mysis to see what all the talk is about. Quite honestly, I have not seen my fish go after any other food so aggressively.

I bought some from Drs. Foster and Smith -- here's a link to the product on the DFS website.

And now... You asked, and I just happen to need to feed my cardinals here at work. It's a slow Friday... Here's a pic of the frozen cube, what it thaws out to be, and the size in inches (that's the 3" mark where it starts -- so roughly 1/2" in length "folded") of one of the mysis. Yes, it is "folded" in half (hard to unfold one without tearing it) and I didn't really count the length of the antennae.

Have you ever used Hakari Mysis?

Is this the real deal of frozen foods??? I was wondering could this keep a copper band alive??? I have heard alot, but could someone fill me in about this stuff and where to buy it for a good price.

Hey! You know Ed has the cheapest price around for PE. If he's out Cris at aqua dreams did a group but a few months ago and still has some

Have you ever used Hakari Mysis?

Yes, I've also used Hikari Mysis... San Francisco Bay Brand and Ocean Nutrition as well. I don't know exactly what it is that the fish like better about the PE Mysis, but if I had to guess it would seem to be something visual because they are on it the very second it enters the water. Don't get me wrong, the other brands are still well accepted, just not quite in the same way.

probably the 69.9 % protien in the PE as opposed to the 10-12% in the hikari. PE mysis has been my staple food for over 3 years now. My copperband will take it from my hand and all other fish love it as well. ( This does not mean that all copperbands will eat it though)

You have to rinse PE pretty good, but the biggest diff AI see is that their gut is loaded with a tanish brown substance whereas the other brands you get pure white mysis.

I guess the fish go after that tasty goodness:lol:

So, from the majority of people replying to this post, I take it the PE mysis is the real deal. I understand that this stuff is expensive but I am going to try it for myself.

Back