PL-Reef

Status
Not open for further replies.

InsaneClownFish

PL-Reef is a carpente(custom stair builder) here in CT who has built stands for club members in the past. In fact he built my first stand for me and I was very pleased.

Four years ago I commissioned Jas Roman(PL-Reef) to build me a stand for my eight foot reef. I paid him a deposit of $325.(months in advance to his wife's paypal) Unfortunately, Jas had some issues at the time and couldn't come through on the job forcing me to build the stand myself.

When I asked for a refund of my $325. Jas told me he was no longer in a financial position to pay me back. I believe Jas was Vice President of the club at the time and was forced to step down. When I told him his personal situation didn't relieve him from his obligation to refund me the $325. he called me an inconsiderate friend and cut off all contact. He did not return my phone calls or pms.

Since I've noticed Jas attending club events again and making comments on various threads- mentioning "purchases," I've very nicely pm'd him to see how he was doing and ask if he was NOW at the point where he would refund my $325. I still have yet to receive a response.

I thought I would give everyone a heads up regarding my experience.

While I understand why you'd make this post, not knowing the nature of your relationship with PL-Reef (who I don't know at all), or the nature of your agreement with him over the stand, it's hard to say whether or not he deserved or should have gotten some slack about the refund, or not. It's hard to know really anything about this agreement/relationship you had, to be fair.

In that light, while I understand that you are disappointed, aggrieved, and maybe even looking out for other club members... I'm not sure this is the best avenue for it. In your position I might do the same thing but I'm not sure that makes it the right way to go. We just don't know what happened the way that you and PL-Reef do. I can certainly imagine a scenario where my good buddy was in a bind and asked me to give him slack on a debt, and I'd grant it, and I can imagine lots of scenarios where it'd be inappropriate to ask for that slack. We just can't possibly know second or third hand which scenario fits, so we're not really in a position to judge.

I totally get the sentiment(s) but I think the forum is just the wrong place for this.

I'm sorry that you had this experience. It sucks.

I totally get the sentiment(s) but I think the forum is just the wrong place for this.

i think its good to know, iven not knowing the whole story. there are people that dont deliver there obligation after payment all over this forum whos names i will not discuss. but i have to say i like to know.

out of curiosity, why not tell paypal? they refund.

I agree that posting here will help other people. You did it in a way where you were not mean about it and just told the story. He should refund you the money reguardless of his money issue. maybe not at the moment but eventually should have. You didnt do any name calling or bashing. Hope you get your money back

100% supportive of this posting. I already have learned my lesson on here and shared my story with quite a few people that I am close with on here and if I ever felt the need to make it public to save someone else from the same experience I would do the same. Thank you

I'm working with him right now. He's really respectful, understanding, and very friendly and helpful. Just gotta patient.

There's always a risk in up front payments and I'm very leery of anyone asking for one. If they don't have the capital for materials it's a (potential) sign that there could be issues.....

Hopefully the 2 of you can resolve the issue, good luck!

I think four years is patient enough. I would have been in court already.

In court for $325? I've lost more than that. To me it's just one of many priceless life lessons. So far from working with Jas, I have zero reasons to believe he would con me or anything. Anyway, there is always 2 sides to a story so he will post his response tonight he says lol.

That's the thing. I agree in principle that anybody taking advantage of club members should not be allowed to get away with it.. BUT, I've also been on the internet 20 years now and I know how easily a witch hunt gets started.

I'm not saying ICF is starting a witch hunt, he was very even handed. I just think this is a risky precedent. It's important to be fair and open to both sides (and when clubs divide into cliques, that gets harder and harder to manage.)

Just stuff to keep in mind.

Stick to the facts.. that's all the OP did... got no issue with that. if PL-Reef wants to state his facts.. fine..

somewhere in the middle is usually the truth

I agree with Pete.. 100% support calling out people that have stolen from you will help others as long as its not bashing

Stick to the facts.. that's all the OP did... got no issue with that. if PL-Reef wants to state his facts.. fine..

somewhere in the middle is usually the truth

Actually, fact=truth, there's really no middle.
I don't like to close this type of thread without the accused having a chance to state his case, but I feel like the beating has gone on long enough. I am going to put a lock on it now, but if either of the primary figures want to add something, PM me, I'll be happy to unlock it at that time.
How long it can remain unlocked is yet to be determined.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back