Plaese help me out.How to feed fuge???

jwccwj

I have a three compartment sump that includes a skimmer section on the left being fed from the overflow,then a return area in the middle(after some baffles), and finally a fuge area on the far right(skimmer area/return area/fuge).How would you supply water to the fuge?

My original plan was to tee off the return and use a ball or gate valve to control the flow over to the fuge but now Im having doubts if this will work.Should I have a separate drain from the overflow box to the fuge on the far right side of the sump or should I redirect some of the return going to the main tank right after my ehiem return pump????

Thanks.

So the flow up your return line actually permits some of the water to flow to the right via the tee?I just thought that cause the water was being pushed upwards towards the display by the pump that the water wouldn't actually divert to the right but rather just go vertically upwards cause its the dirction of least resistance.Thanks.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9835511#post9835511 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jwccwj
So the flow up your return line actually permits some of the water to flow to the right via the tee?I just thought that cause the water was being pushed upwards towards the display by the pump that the water wouldn't actually divert to the right but rather just go vertically upwards cause its the dirction of least resistance.Thanks.

Yup.. you will need a valve to control it. Otherwise all of your water will go through the "T" and into the fuge.. Water flows to the path of least resistance (if gravity allows). There is less head pressure (pressure pushing the water back down) if it goes through the "T" instead of traveling vertically a few more feet to your display. :p Hope this helps!

I have sump setup like your. My return goes into my skimmer area but there is a "Tee and a ball valve" in my return that takes some of the water to feed my fuge area.This setup works well and my macro algae grows like crazy and 0 nitrates

Do you guys have a diagram or picture of your setup... I´m looking for ideas on how to do this properly. I´m in the process of figuring this out... I have an external skimmer that I plan to feed via gravity and then have the skimmed water flow into a sump/fuge which I would like it to be a slow flow area...

Is it better to feed the fuge with retutn water, or incoming "drain" water....???

I am a newb still, but i was going to tee off my drain into the fuge? I thought that the "dirty" water may have been a little more beneficial to the fuge??

Correct me please.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9837975#post9837975 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by heyfredyourhat
Is it better to feed the fuge with retutn water, or incoming "drain" water....???

I am a newb still, but i was going to tee off my drain into the fuge? I thought that the "dirty" water may have been a little more beneficial to the fuge??

Correct me please.

It is usually better to give your skimmer first shot at it..

gw1100
I will see what I can work up really quick.. =)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9837414#post9837414 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gw1100
Do you guys have a diagram or picture of your setup... I´m looking for ideas on how to do this properly. I´m in the process of figuring this out... I have an external skimmer that I plan to feed via gravity and then have the skimmed water flow into a sump/fuge which I would like it to be a slow flow area...

Here is a quick work up of a basic sump design..
sump.jpg

Here are some plans for a more advanced 10 sump.
sump1.jpg

sump2.jpg

sump3.jpg

You guys keep referring to t'ing off your "return line" for the fuge. I believe it is the drain line that you want to be using if your fuge is incorporated into your sump.

Negative, if you were using the drain you would have to put a valve on the skimmer supply feed to get water to go anywhere but straight down into the skimmer section with the overflow running into the fuge. Having a T and a valve on the return lines let's us use the work of the pump and head pressure to provide a constant, adjustable flow into the fuge. Having the water skimmed first also strips the proteins before they get to the fuge.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9838214#post9838214 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mlrtime99
Negative, if you were using the drain you would have to put a valve on the skimmer supply feed to get water to go anywhere but straight down into the skimmer section with the overflow running into the fuge. Having a T and a valve on the return lines let's us use the work of the pump and head pressure to provide a constant, adjustable flow into the fuge. Having the water skimmed first also strips the proteins before they get to the fuge.

Bingo... That is exactly right!

Thank you for the diags fareforce.... Would a 600gph return pump do the job for a 150gl system? I´m looking for low flow in this area but if I have to use a T to bring water back to the fuge, I´m afraid I will need more power... Would the system work well without using a T? or is this a must?

GW, you have to consider the height your pump is going to have to pump the water for the return. Look at the head specs of the pump you're considering on the manufacturer's site. If you have too much the T with a bypass can fix this. If you don't have enough you're hosed.

Did you ever think about swapping the return and fuge areas.
Instead of water flowing from skimmer -> return and T valve to fuge, make it flow from skimmer -> fuge -> return.

The only problem with that reefnewb is you swamp your fuge with however much flow has to go through your sump. Some people have a very high turnover on their sump which would almost wash away the fuge section. Having the T on a valve lets you control the flow the to fuge as little, or as much as needed. It's better to have control built in then to need it later.

Understan, I was thinking of using a little giat rated for 750gph as a return to produce a low flow in sump/fuge... I also have two Mag 9.5s that I was thinking of using... I can use one as return and leave the other along with the little giant as close loops pumps... would this work? or do I need something larger for the return.... I was planing on a total head loss of 2 to 3 feet.

Back