Planned power outage

dannyfish

Any reefers know if a battery powered aeration pump would provide enough circulation (60 gal) for about 8 hours of power outage? Do I need a car battery and power inverter setup?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Planned power outage

My tunze 6095 and a sealed alarm battery last about 12hrs. If you can go DC to DC it will be more Efficent.

Not sure if that helps.

Could you share how you connect the whole setup. It would be extremely useful for many of us. Thanks

I decided to buy a portable power bank from Amazon....another expense. Hopefully, the 58000mAh power bank is good enough to power the Mag 9.5 (60 Hz, 93watt) return pump situated in a sump for about 8hrs.

I bought a sealed 12 volt battery from Harbor Frieght and Battery Plus so yes I have two systems. I also bought a tunze safety connector. A tunze 6095 and a battery tender from Wal Mart

Hook up the battery to the tender. Hook up the wires to the safety connector, this you will need some DIY skills. Swithc the connections from the power supply to the safety connector and the power supply. Shut off power to see if you got it right.

If you need links let me know?

I bought a small gas portable electric generator on Black Friday for 100$ enough to run return pump and mp in the tank as long as i refill gas.

What we need is for people to learn about the safety of modern nuclear power plant designs and get moving on their construction. I'm getting tired of hearing that they keep closing those reactors down and can't keep up with "green" alternatives.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Did anyone invest in a portable power bank?
I bought the, HALO Bolt 58830 mWh Portable Phone Laptop Charger Car Jump Starter with AC Outlet and Car Charger , from Amazon. I can plug my return pump directly into the socket.

I should have waited for more responses because what I purchased was for a planned power outage. I had not thought about unplanned outages. Oops.

You figured out by now that I have no clue about wiring things. I will probably end up returning the power bank. I wonder if I could use those battery backups for computers. They kick on when there is no power running through the computer.

Daniel

BadBreath, I am not opposed to nuclear power plants, but the Three Mile Island accident was a disaster. I watched the whole documentary video on YouTube and it's scary.

Danny I doubt it wil work well for your Magdrive pump. For most AC pumps you need a full gerinvertor. the mag drive is also not a very efecient pump and will use a lot of power. A UPS is a better long term solution.
You can get very inexpensive automatic air pumps that work very well and uses USB type batteries so they can easilly be swaped and charged from your car phone charger.
https://www.marinedepot.com/rescue-air-usb-powered-dc-air-pump-single-port-with-additional-power-pack-cobalt-aquatics
you can get it with or without the addtional battery pack included. I have several of these as well as the one below.

This one uses D cell batteries is very inexpensive and works very well however you need to be there to turn it on. https://www.marinedepot.com/marina-battery-air-pump

I have a generator right now. next year I'm buying Tesla battery. I don't want to worry about any rolling black out again.

SCE called me 4 times telling me 4 different black out dates. 4 times I prepped the generator, gassed it up, no power outage.. kinda not mad about it but still a lot of work for nothing.

Planned power outage

I'm following your steps Moondoggy4
Ordered the battery and the TURBELLE SAFETY BATTERY BACKUP CONNECTOR, bought a used Tunze 6095 and had a Tunze Stream 3., ordered some wire and hope to put it together as soon as they arrive. If I get stuck I'll be asking you. Thx

Giving you all some feedback with the power pack battery that I bought from Amazon. I was running a Jebao DC wave maker and it lasted for a good 5 hrs. Yes, from 10:30pm to 6am , I woke up 3-4 times worrying that my fish would die. I switched it to the battery powered aerator until the power went back on. All the fish survived but it was exhausting. I'm returning this power pack for sure, it wasn't designed to last more than 8 hrs.

If MoonDoggy's suggestion works, I'm going to invest in a Sealed Lead Battery (SLR) and a battery tender/charger. So, how long will a 12V battery good for operating a small DC wave maker?

5 hours is pretty good actually. I would be pretty happy with those results. Using it on the wave maker instead of the mag drive helped a lot.
How long any set up lasts depends on the size/rating of the battery and the current draw of the pump your powering. There are other factors that can come into play as well. Some pumps/motors do not like modified sine wave output and run hotter and use more current when running that way.
One of my back ups has a 1500 amp hour battery with and addtional 750 amp hour battery pack. It actually tells me on the display how long it should be able to power what is plugged into it. The Tunze I have blugged into it currently should run for few days. I used to have it hooked up to my 130 watt 3000 gph return pump and it ran it for 4-5 hours on 2 occasions in the past. One outage was longer and it ran out of juice an hour before the power came back on.all was good though.

Back