Planning a 300 gallon Tank

I was looking at controllable wavemakers for this tank and I have heard nothing but good things about MP40's and MP60's. But I was not sure how many I would need for a tank that size. Or another option would just be setting up 2-3 closed loops instead. I wanted peoples opinions however. Let me know.

200lbs of Fiji Rock total in the DT 50lbs in sump
Mocean 2000 Wave Maker for Returns and Closed Loop
ReeFlo Tiger Shark 5100 GPH
Bubble Magus BM-NAC9 Cone Protein Skimmer
PhosBan Reactor 150
Reef Octopus Bio Pellet Combo Pack
American Marine Pinpoint pH Monitor

Here is the current start to the wish list for the tank....open to suggestions

My tank is peninsula style so I have (2) Mp60 on the wall of the overflow. In addition I use (2) Vertex Mocean 3500 on the same wall that are fed by the return pump. My closed loop at the moment is run off a Reeflo Dart, however I am planning to change to a DC pump so I can increase + decrease the flow rates depending on the time of day and whether its day or night.

For your tank in all honestly, I would have 1-2 Mp60's along with a closed loop. You can always have a little too much flow and dim it back. Adding a closed loop when your tank is up and running can't be done very easily.

Sounds good to me. I was definitely thinking a closed loop system for sure just wasn't sure if I needed the MPs too but sounds good. Those MP's are expensive but from what I have read they are well worth it.

Sounds good to me. I was definitely thinking a closed loop system for sure just wasn't sure if I needed the MPs too but sounds good. Those MP's are expensive but from what I have read they are well worth it.

Ya the Ecotech are an investment thats for sure. They do make some noise be aware of that, so if your planning on a completely silent tank I don't think you will want them. Another option are the Tunze pumps which are completely silent. There is a back and forth debate as to whether Ecotech or Tunze are better, I guess it comes down to which one fits your and your tanks needs and preference the best.

Yea thats what I have heard about the noise. I don't think the noise will be too much of an issue though. I am going to make this tank in wall and do a fish room behind it so that should muffle the noise pretty well. What do you think I should do about the lights? I would really like to stick with LED. I have them now on a 90 gallon tank and they are awesome but I am trying to see the cost vs just going MH because I think I could get away with 4 MH 400W with different intensities for each part of the tank.

I know people favor one or another but I like the Tunze's. Having a completely closed motor is the selling point for me. No noise is an added benefit :) I've fried the external motors on a few powerheads so I tend to avoid them now if I can help it.
If you can stick with the LED's I dont doubt you will be happier in the long run. You will eventually gain your money back with them through lower energy costs, no bulb changing every 9-12 months, and less frequent chiller calling.

Last edited:
I am thinking of going with Tunzes so I can put the little bit extra into the lights. Are they easy to hide? I just don't want to show too much in the tank. I know thats what everyone says :) Anyone got anything else to add or suggest for any part of the tank?

Tunze makes a rock fitting so you can hide it better. Shown here at the bottom of the page. http://www.tunze.com/149.html?&L=1&C=US&user_tunzeprod_pi1[predid]=-infoxunter025
The issue is hiding the cord but there is always a work around if you put liverock in front of it, compression bulkhead fitting through your overflow, etc. if you want no sign of it there.
I personally am not a fan of powerheads though they are nice with the controllability. I use recirc loops with an actuator such as OceansMotions run by an independent pump.

Sweet post pics when you start. You will be able to do that for 15-20K. I like tunze.

I will definately post pictures once I start the set up. It might take me a hot minute. I should be PCSing here shortly to a new duty location and I will set it up at my new house. As far as your pricing goes though. That is really high. I have done the math on just what I have so far (granted its not complete and will need more I am sure) and I have not counted the livestock yet but I am only at 3k right now with tank and sump and small list of supplies. I will guess about 5-7k after everything.

Tunze makes a rock fitting so you can hide it better. Shown here at the bottom of the page. http://www.tunze.com/149.html?&L=1&C=US&user_tunzeprod_pi1[predid]=-infoxunter025
The issue is hiding the cord but there is always a work around if you put liverock in front of it, compression bulkhead fitting through your overflow, etc. if you want no sign of it there.
I personally am not a fan of powerheads though they are nice with the controllability. I use recirc loops with an actuator such as OceansMotions run by an independent pump.

I like those rock fittings. I really don't like powerheads either and I will be getting an OceansMotion on a closed loop. I just want to make sure I have enough flow through the tank and I have heard good things about powerheads and corals but maybe 2 or 3 closed loop systems. I don't know I just want to make sure I plan this tank thoroughly and do it right!

i have a 96x24x25 and i have a closed loop run by reeflo dart 3600gph along with 4 maxijets with 2000gph mods plus the return of 4600gph. after headloss and everything i get 45-48 times turnover. (sps acro tank)

I know people favor one or another but I like the Tunze's. Having a completely closed motor is the selling point for me. No noise is an added benefit :) I've fried the external motors on a few powerheads so I tend to avoid them now if I can help it.
If you can stick with the LED's I dont doubt you will be happier in the long run. You will eventually gain your money back with them through lower energy costs, no bulb changing every 9-12 months, and less frequent chiller calling.

+1 with the Tunze I am all for them as well. They are very well made, dead silent and you can get the upgrade 'wide-flow' nozzle if you like as well. Plus with the new ones you can adjust the intensity for night/day modes

Back