Planning a mantis/sps tank. Advice?

Scunch

Hi guys!

This is my first post here, but I've had mantis shrimp in the past. I've owned a P. Ciliata, an O. Scyllarus, and a G. Chiragra. Unfortunately, I had terrible luck, due to what I'm not sure, but I think it had to be environmental since they all seemed to die in their first (in one case, second) molt. Anways, it's been a couple of years and I kind of miss having a tank and mantises and I'm thinking of starting a tank.

I'm looking at a 24 gallon package at my LFS. The price is decent and includes a pretty strong LED lighting system. I'd very much like to have some SPS and gorgonias once it's well established. So I'm looking at 2 possible species for my mantis:

P. Ciliata: I loved my last one and I wouldn't mind having another. He was always running around and was very active. The downside would be needing a deeper sand bed, which might be annoying with the amount of flow I'll need.

or

O. Havanensis: These sound like a delight to have, and I know where to get one. The potential of (just maybe, possibly) keeping a fish with it is also tempting. But I understand they are a deeper water species, would they really be okay with bright lighting?

Any thoughts?

Back