Planning first reef from scratch in 10 years

jaxredsoxfan

So I have had many reef tanks in the past, but none in the last 10 years or so. Over that time technology and availability have sure changed. Just moved into new home and have a 40" wide space for a new tank. I was thinking of going with a Red Sea E-max 260 (69 gal complete set-up). I'm about 2 months out from being ready to purchase so I have been accumulating supplies.

Since I have plenty of time, wanted to do things right from the start. For cost reasons I was thinking of picking up about 50 lbs or so of reef saver dry rock from BRS. My plan was to put in a brute can in the garage for a couple of months with a pump and heater to let it leach everything out. This would allow it to be close to ready in 2 months when I order the tank.

What do you guys think? Should I pick up a couple of live rocks locally and add to the can now? Do it in a few weeks? Scrap the whole idea and do it another way?

Thanks,

You can certainly remove phosphates and cure/cycle rock in a brute. That sounds like a good plan to me, and you can start now if you want.

You may have to change water or add phosphate media to deal with any leaching. A phosphate test kit will tell you about that.

Thanks, I did a bit more digging and was looking at some live rock from saltwater aquarium.com. Was thinking maybe 40lbs live and 25lbs dry for the 69gal tank. Any issues with picking up both and putting in brute can for a couple of months, or am I better off just doing the dry now in the brute can and picking up the live when the tank arrives in a couple of months and adding both to display at the same time?

I don't see "live rock" on that site at all..
I see dry rock with "live" in the name but that is NOT live rock..

Check reefcleaners if you want good/clean "Florida dry rock"..
It should not need curing to remove phosphates.

Thanks, I checked it out and ordered 50lbs- figured the tank is 69gal, so Id do 50 lbs now and pick up "live rock" to make up difference. Do you think I should "brute" the reefcleaners rock or wait and let it cycle with some live rock in the tank itself. While Im excited to have a reef tank again, Im under no particular hurry to add livestock, just want to get it going properly.

Back