Planning on 165 Gallon Reef Tank

rldcpa

I will appreciate any comments you have:

165 gallon Tank 72x24x22 reef tank with some fish and lots of coral. Tangs, clowns and other safe reef fish.

The standard overflow option is 1" drain and 3/4" return. I am thinking of a 1.5" main drain, another 1.5 drain as a backup in case of blockage and a 1" return. Let me know if this option is needed.

Sump would be a 60x18x18 and I would have 3 sections - skimmer section... return section... and then refugeum with the drain being split between the skimmer section 75% and 25% to the Refugem. The sections would be separated by 1" bubble traps.

The weight may be an issue (2000 lbs) on the main floor of my house even though it is going on an outside wall and perpindicular to the joist. I most likely will run a 8' cross beam across the joists and use 2 jacks to support the cross bean (header).

Was going to use live sand and reef saver dry aquarium rock to avoid unwanted pests. Sliding glass tops to keep more water in.

I need suggestions for heaters and skimmer.

I will probably wait on lighting to the last minute hoping the some decent LED's will come to the market that are reasonable and will allow me to grow coral properly. If LED's are too much then I will go with a 72" 12 bulb T5.

Later I will need to get bio pelet reactor and probably calcium reactor but this requires a CO2 tank which looks expensive and bulky.

If I get the bio pelet reactor do I need GFO or carbon reactors?

I will appreciate any comments you have:

165 gallon Tank 72x24x22 reef tank with some fish and lots of coral. Tangs, clowns and other safe reef fish.

The standard overflow option is 1" drain and 3/4" return. I am thinking of a 1.5" main drain, another 1.5 drain as a backup in case of blockage and a 1" return. Let me know if this option is needed.

Sump would be a 60x18x18 and I would have 3 sections - skimmer section... return section... and then refugeum with the drain being split between the skimmer section 75% and 25% to the Refugem. The sections would be separated by 1" bubble traps.

The weight may be an issue (2000 lbs) on the main floor of my house even though it is going on an outside wall and perpindicular to the joist. I most likely will run a 8' cross beam across the joists and use 2 jacks to support the cross bean (header). Everything sounds good to this point.

Was going to use live sand and reef saver dry aquarium rock to avoid unwanted pests. Sliding glass tops to keep more water in. Skip the live sand, it isn't worth the extra. Use dry rock and one LR to seed the system. You really don't even need that if you are willing to take your time. Bacteria will grow even without seeding. Don't do the glass top. Evaporation isn't a bad thing and glass tops can cut down on oxygenation of your water which is mostly done at the water's surface.

I need suggestions for heaters and skimmer. I have no heater experience being in SW Florida. I have an AquaMedic Shorty 5000 skimmer and it has been a dream to have. Skims great, easy to control and super easy to clean.

I will probably wait on lighting to the last minute hoping the some decent LED's will come to the market that are reasonable and will allow me to grow coral properly. If LED's are too much then I will go with a 72" 12 bulb T5.LEDs won't drop in price anytime soon. Just get a 4 or 6 bulb t5.

Later I will need to get bio pelet reactor and probably calcium reactor but this requires a CO2 tank which looks expensive and bulky. What do you want the bio pelet reactor for? Hold off on the calcium reactor until you REALLY know what you are doing. Dosing is so easy. I buy bulk calcium (dowflake) and alk (soda ash from pool supply) and add it to the top off water I add in the AM and PM.

If I get the bio pelet reactor do I need GFO or carbon reactors? Don't ask if you need them, find out what they do and then get them if you need them. I have a reactor for GFO and carbon (not at the same time). In 2 years I've run GFO for a month to stop a small hairy algae outbreak and carbon for 2 weeks after using Flatworm Exit). Why run hardware you don't need. Find out IF you need it and then buy it.
Just my opinions and I hope they help. Good luck. :wavehand:

Back