Plans to move to Oki

N1ceDrgn

I haven't been around in a while but I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for moving to Oki. Well, a better way to ask that question is about moving my 125g to Oki. I'd also like to maintain my livestock as well. Does anyone have any recommendations on the best method?

I think your out of luck with your livestock. The customs and agriculture coming into Japan will make the live transport pretty much impossible. I would build a box for my tank and pack as much of it as possible to get it to survive the journey. My 30 gal acrylic made it just fine, but a 125 is a different animal! Good Luck!

That's kind of odd.. Then how do they get the same livestock there in country? I've seen almost everything I have, there, at one time or another. Perhaps getting it shipped from a commerical address or from a store versus personal shipping would change things?

Most of what they have here comes commercially from Indonesia and the Philippines. I have had a few people look into trying to ship internationally to and from Japan and they said it wasn't feasible. Even if the governmental policies weren't an obstacle, by the time you paid for over nighting stuff to Japan you could have bought half your live stock here.

Hmm.. I'll put together a list and I'd appreciate finding out if what I have now, I can find there or not. I've got some nice pieces that I don't like the idea of losing though.. :(

Like mike said, I wouldn't chance shipping any live stuff here. I have had stuff shipped from Tokyo to Okinawa overnight express and had stuff look like hell and even dead. That is shipping within the country.... Now imagine shipping from the states to here... Doubt it will make it What I mean by "hold" it is Have a friend where you are at hold onto it (care for it for you) if it is something special. If you can find a coral in the states, you can find it here.

I did talk to 'TheDeparted' and discussed this. He wasn't precisely sure what I could find but he was pretty confident I could come across most of the things I have now. The downside to leaving it here or selling it here is I have some pretty big colonies in my tank that I'd really hate to get rid of. I do have a friend that works in 'import/export' for Okinawa and she didn't see a problem with sending things overnight. She did say that for some things, UPS/'Black Cat' isn't the best. She was going to verify things for me and let me know. She did recommend sending things on a flight bound for Okinawa versus using a shipper.
Here's a list of what I do have:
Frogspawn Coral Branched - Aquacultured (Euphyllia paradivisa)
Star Polyp, Green (Pachyclavularia sp.)
Button Polyp (Protopalythoa sp.)
White Pom Pom Xenia, Red Sea - Aquacultured (Xenia sp.)
Green Fluorescent Mushroom (Actinodiscus sp.)
Green Striped Mushroom (Actinodiscus sp.)
Red Mushroom (Actinodiscus sp.)
Blue Mushroom (Actinodiscus sp.)
Spotted Mushroom, Red (Actinodiscus sp.)
Blue Striped Mushroom (Actinodiscus sp.)
Acropora Coral, Blue Tortuosa (Acropora tortuosa) (ORA)
Hammer / Anchor Coral, Multi-colored (Euphyllia ancora)
Hammer / Anchor Coral, Branching, Green (Euphyllia paranchora)
Colony Polyp, Super Colored, Green (Zoanthus sp.)
Green Slimer (Acropora yongei) (ORA)
Rose Millepora - (Acropora millepora) (ORA)
Green Gemmifera - (Acropora gemmifera) (ORA)

Blue Tang (Paracanthurus hepatus)
Yellow Tang (Zebrasoma flavescens)
Ocellaris Clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris)
Green Skunk Clownfish (Amphiprion sandarcinos)
Blue/Green Reef Chromis (Chromis viridis)
Sailfin/Algae Blenny (Salarias fasciatus)
Banded Goby (Phalaena gobiidae)
Green Mandarin Goby (Pterosynchiropus splendidus)
Brittle Sea Star (Ophiothrix sp.)
Peppermint Shrimp (Lysmata wurdemanni)
Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp (Lysmata amboinensis)
Emerald Mithrax Crab (Mithrax sculptus)
Scarlet Reef Hermit Crab (Paguristes cadenati)
Nassarius Snail (Nassarius sp.)
Dog Rose Cowrie

Ritteri Anemone (Heteractis magnifica)

have you contacted the "source", I mean the people who r=are responsible for this - like customs? You are not doing anything wrong with attempting to take your stuff with you. I can be done - or else nothing but indo stuff would be here. You can total the cost of your assets; talk to customs; get yourself registered as a business; get specail perits to transport more than 3 ounces of water as a hand carry; get the most direct flight to Okinawa, - if not coord stops to allow for water changes...have a point of contact here like Aqua Culture Okinaw (Mr Taira) @ www.aquaculture.co.jp and maybe have him help with the transport destination address....I always like to go to the source - THEN after that - try "other" alternatives. I would think that anyting is possible with customs as long as you have time and MONEY for permits, not bribes.. :eek:)

Oh, I am checking on things with the 'right people'. For here in the U.S., a starting point is the National Fish, Game and Wildlife. Then, it's on to customs. I don't know if I've said it before or not but I'm not concerned with the tank and parts for it. The only concern is the livestock. Most of it I could be fine selling off or selling back to the shop I worked at. Some of the items though, are considerably large and I'd prefer not to start over with those items if it can be helped.

son't take the tank to lighly eitherm U.S> sizes and eplumbing are very VERY hard to come by here and a busted tank can take months to replace. ACO will hold your corals if need be.

I'm trying not to take things lightly, it's a big move and I am concerned about finding PVC for plumbing over there. Here, I either go to Indelco Plastics or Home Depot.
As for packing, I'd just build a crate and then with some plasitc pad the tank with expanding foam. Then, use packing peanuts for all the components that go either on or in the tank.
Unfortunately, I still haven't been able to get a straight answer on shipping the livestock. I hope to get an answer soon.

For plumbing stuff, you can get everything you need here except bulkheads. You just have to know where to look and expect to pay a little more. Pipe, unions, elbows, fittings, etc are here.

That's good to learn. Even with all the different clubs in the area here. I've been 'DIY' since I've been in this hobby. As for bulkheads, I don't think I'll have a need for those. Once I'm back in the area, I intend to switch from bulkheads to a setup I've seen used there in Japan. I'd like to be able to remember the name but it isn't conventional and it works pretty well.

Sigh...I'd like to know what that is too! What that work for a closed loop on a 130 gal as well? I am about to drill mine in the back,BUT,,,,if you have a better plan I'd like to hear it.

The name I remember is 'dursa tube'. PPM over in Awase was the last shop I saw that was using it on the display tank.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11666415#post11666415 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jeffb3t
For plumbing stuff, you can get everything you need here except bulkheads. You just have to know where to look and expect to pay a little more. Pipe, unions, elbows, fittings, etc are here.

Jeff, if this is so, PLEASE tell me were I can get U.S. size 1 " sch 40 pvc pipe/tubing. I am in desparate need of about 3 feet of it.
I have looked everywhere and only find metric sizes.

What you need to realize is metric will fit standard plumbing. If you look closly, plumbing fittings are all tapered and will fit. For example I ordered 1.5 inch gate valves (which is 38mm) from the states and used 40 mm schedule 40 to connect it. I did the same with my 1 inch bulkheads (which is 25.4mm) and used 25mm pipe for it. .4mm is really nothing when you consider fittings are tapered and you must use adhesive.

Yeah, but right now I am trying to make this Durso overflow tube and I bought everythiung I needed to make them when I was back in the States on emergency Leave. And yes, I forgot to pack the 1" pipes...sigh... The gap left by the 4mm is a show stopper because the 1" pipe needs to fit snug into the 1" connector and the cap at the end with the 1/4" hole drilled into it. It is suppose to slide up and down the 1" pipe in order to adjust the water level and the noise, and of course, it is a "Once-Set-Please-Forget" rig, but again, the 4 mmm gap is a true detriment to the whole project. I really need some 1" pipe. I have tried to l;ook for all the pieces needed in metric but to no avail. And even so, I would have to jimmy-rig it to keep steady into the female part of the bulkhead in my overflow. Please let me know if you have found a place on the Island that sells U.S. sized pipes PLEASE!!! :eek:)

Back