Please critique my future stock for my 75

soulbereaver

Ok, I know there might be some issues, and i will post the issues that i know of already, but if you guys see anything I am ignorant to, let me know. I would eventually like to keep mostly LPS and SPS corals in this tank.

75 Gallon Mixed Reef Tank stock wish list:

FISH:
Yellow Watchman Golby
2 Onyx Clowns (Love em!!)
Manderin (I know they need an established tank/Plenty of pods)
Small/Medium Blue Hippo Tang (I know I will have to find a new home for it eventually but I love these fish and I would really like to have one in my tank)
Wrasse (I'm not sure what kind but I will do my research on the best for a reef tank)
Flame Angel (This is scary with SPS and LPS corals I hear... will definately monitor closely!! Pretty enough to take a dare tho)

INVERTS:
Pistol Shrimp (I've heard I should buy with watchman as a pair or they may not pair up?)
3 Peppermints (hit or miss i know, but for the Aiptasia control it's worth it)
Porcelin Crab (hopefully in a powder blue color :rolleyes: )
Bubble Tip Anemone (with LPS and SPS I know there's a risk if they decide to move)
Clam (again not sure what kind, need to do more research on different types)
Various Snails etc. for CUC

Any major problems with this list? Too much for a 75? Any opinions / information would be awesome.

Thanks

thanks for the reply guys, I really like the diversity. One of my goals was to have every fish a different color and to try to have every color possible :) hoping to find a really neat looking green wrasse. then i think i got every color. maybe i'll add a royal gramma for more purple...

I have heard that if you add the peppermints after the pistol shrimp they will likely become his lunch. I have had no experience with this personally, however.

be careful in choosing a wrasse . make sure its reef safe!!! I had a llunar wrasse that ate most of my snails. it would pick them up in its mouth and slam them on a piece of rock.

Looks good to me..
Even though regal tangs grow fast, I think you would be fine for a year or so with one. Maybe two..lol

Im sure u already know, but If you want a mixed reef, make sure u run and change out carbon regularly.

I would forget the mandarin dragonet, they will wipe your tank clean and starve real quick. You have to realize that people should only be putting in these fish after a couple years of tank maturity, and only if the other fish aren't putting a big enough pressure on the pod population already. if you find one that's eating frozen however, snatch it fast because they're hard to come by (but make sure you actually SEE it eat frozen/prepared food).

I thought watchman gobies needed a well-estabished tank too? well as long as it eats prepared food, no worries.

I am not sure about the tang, but as long as you are honest with yourself about when it should get the boot, that's fine.

As for the wrasse, I suggest a canary wrasse. Won't outgrow the tank, reef safe, gorgeous and will eat any flatworms you might have :). only downside is that it will put a big dent on pods, bristleworms and probably a few other lil critter populations. As with all wrasses, they are skittish and WILL try to carpet surf. a canopy or tank cover is MANDATORY. note the emphases; no exceptions. I built a canopy just so I could have one of these guys.

I would skip the Hippo Tang or get a larger tank. You might could get away with a smaller Tang like a Yellow or a Purple.

I would also skip the Flame Angel. Mine is a beautiful fish that now lives in my sump. It nips at everything.

I would also hold off on the Mandarin for a good 6 months to allow your tank to get well established. If possible find a Mandarin that will take prepared food. Mine eats frozen shrimp and blood worms in addition to hunting for pods all day.

Hi, I have a 180 gallon tank. In the tank I have a Yellow Corris Wrasse and a Fairy Wrasse. Both are reef safe and eat prepared foods. I have a cover on my tank but have never seen them go near the surface of the water.

There is also another thread on here that tells you how to train a Mandarin Goby to eat prepared foods.

My Pink and blue watchman eats krill and pellet food. He also sifts the sand.

I recommend a Rainford Goby. Mine is always out and about sifting sand until the lights go out. Nothing bothers him and he is very colourful

Chris

Thank you all for the replys. I know the flame angel is a shot in the dark... i've heard all kinds of stories but i still feel it's worth one shot. If things don't work out I can always find it a better home. Secondly I know that Manderins have a large effect on the pod population. I've done my research and really don't plan on getting one for a while unless a LFS can show me that the fish eats prepaired foods. I feed Rod's Food and I have heard success stories with that food and Manderins. In fact, I've never had a brand new fish ever not eat the first time. That food is amazing.

Back to topic, thanks again for all the input guys, my tank is still very young and this stock list won't be complete for a while, but I always like to prepair ahead of time. I will have to look into a covor for the wrasse for now.

Thanks again

Back