Please help ATI 36" 4 bulb T5 fixture not working correctly

socal55

I've got a 36" T5 fixture with 4 bulbs made by ATI. I recently changed all 4 bulbs and now I have a problem. Two of the bulbs will not start. Well, sometimes they will if you take a bulb out and reinsert it, but the pair will stay lit for only 30 sec or so. A year ago when I last changed bulbs, the same pair were a little touchy at first, but then after a couple days were OK and didn't have a problem until the latest bulb change.
Since there had been some minor issues with the bulbs starting during the first week after the previous bulb change, I assumed that the problem was with the ballast. I replaced the ballast with an ATI ballast and also changed the bulb holders (non-shunted since I had read that ATI used programmed start ballasts) since one was broken. Now, the pair will intermittently light for that 30 sec period then go off. I even tried reinstalling the old bulbs, and combinations of both old bulbs and old/new bulbs. Most often the pair will not start at all. So, new ballast (interestingly enough, the old ballast did not have the metal cover on it, but the new one could be snugly placed in the fixture, but everything looked the same with the old/new ballasts as far as I could tel) did help, new bulb holders didn't help. Also, replacing a broken ventilation fan didn't affect things either.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Hello Socal55, it sounds like you have a bulb problem. There is a good chance once it burns in for a period of time it will subside, but if doesn't take it back to the dealer where it was purchased within 30 days for a replacement.

All bulbs run in pairs, so if one is struggling both will go out.
Your old ballast is likely fine, so if you haven't tossed it I would keep it.
Rarely does a ballast "sometimes" work, if you get bulbs to fire even for 30 seconds it is rarely a ballast problem.

Cheers

Thanks for the reply. I did order new bulbs and one tried to start while the other did nothing. I think I am at the point of dismantling the light again to see if a wire came loose during the reassembly. Would be so much easier if it was hanging over the tank rather than being mounted in a canopy.

Late in the day, I found that the two working bulbs were off as well. Pluging the cord directly into the power strip (it was in a timer) did not result in the bulbs starting. Is the little ATI Powermodul a possible culprit for the ills of my fixture?

Late in the day, I found that the two working bulbs were off as well. Pluging the cord directly into the power strip (it was in a timer) did not result in the bulbs starting. Is the little ATI Powermodul a possible culprit for the ills of my fixture?

Sorry Socal I did not get an email notification of this post.

When you say "ATI Powermodule", are you referring to the controller/power supply of an LED Powermodule? Without knowing what kind of fixture you have its very difficult to try and help.

More than likely its either a bulb or a ballast issue.

Back