Please Help ID Algae

This is a real longshot and probably way off base....but you mentioned whatever this stuff is that's growing, is blue-isn/green-ish....and then later you mentioned that you have blue foam filter media at the top of your sump. That blue foam filter media isn't old and breaking down is it? Any chance to get higher quality pictures? Pam

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15498913#post15498913 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by nosechunks
I have the blue foam filter media at the top of my sump that my overflow dumps onto, and a red sea prisim protein skimmer. [/B]

The tank is about a year old, The color in the second to last and the last pic show it pretty accurately.

I have a filter pad that my overflow dumps onto, its that blue and white pond stuff thats like 3 dollars for a small roll.

My filter media is in pretty good shape and isnt large enough to have such widespread effects. I was thinking the same thing when i first started seeing it, but with how much it is in the tank it couldnt possibly be that.

Its strange because up untill 2 months ago i hadnt seen anything like this, water was clear and after i put the turbo snails in the tank there was no algea of any kind.

The tank has an internal overflow sump that i used to have the filter in, i have since made up a PVC overflow and utilized a 10 gallon tank with a divider as an external sump for better filtration and easier access to everything. It was around the same time i started using the sump i started seeing this stuff show up.

I appreciate the help, i was really hoping to get a "i had that last year and i......" response but i guess this isnt a very common thing.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15534305#post15534305 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by nosechunks
Not to be nasty back, but no one told me what it is only opinions of what it might be. Im not disagreeing with anyone, I would like to know exactly what it is so i know how to go about getting rid of it.

I tried to help before but you didn't give us a proper description. If you really want help listen to the people who are trying to help you, don't get upset.

Take some out and touch it, tell us how it feels and photograph it close up. It sounds like funky blue detritus but it looks sponge like due to it's colour.

Back