Please help ID this...

benray4fun

This started appearing about a week ago & it looks like brown diatoms, but not really. Does anyone know what this is?...

Attachments

• IMAG1449.jpg
    IMAG1449.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 0
Is it encrusting or not encrusting? What I just read says basically nothing will eat the encrusting form, but the rest will be eaten by crabs and fish.

I think I had the non encrusting version of it on my frag tank power head. It got big fast and I just yanked it, didn't really know what it was. Would have tried to feed it to my tangs. Instead I tossed it in my slop sink next to my frag tank because I was curious to see it die but its still there about 2 weeks later lol.

Last edited:
I just plopped a big star polyp frag on it to grow over & smother it...done, so I hope
Don't know if its the encrusting type, but wasn't gonna wait to fine out, its a nuisance algae so its gotta go ASAP.

if it is lobophora. it says emerald crabs,sea hares,turbos,chitons.limpets,tangs and urchins will pick at it.i have a link i copied from here. "nuisance algae id guide". i will post the link when i get to my ipad. really not sure what you have but it looked the closest to pics they had and then i googled it. the cool thing about the link it tells you how you got the algae. and how to fight it. since restarting my tank and getting back into the hobby i come here at least once a day and see whats new.if i can add my 2cents and help.

Back