Please Help Now

awestruck

New member
I just lost a lot of water down the back of my tank and the outlets and surge protector were smokin' pretty badly due to all the water. Everything is unplugged and I'm afraid to plug anything back in. Obviously I cannot leave the tank this way--what should I do?
 

awestruck

New member
Hi, thanx for responding so quickly. The outlets are old; my house is old thus there are only a few GFI style protectors in some parts of my house. Also, some of the prongs on the cords of the lights, heater etc. turned about 1/2 black (they burned). Are they safe to use even with a new surge protector?
 

SlowCobra

New member
They sell actual GFI style power strips, not just the outlets themeselves. As for the plugs, does the black wipe off of it or does it look like the plugs have arced and actually melted? Also what do the wires look like? Do they feel weaker in a certain spot on the cord. Is there any obvious damage to the wires between the device and the plug end?
 

awestruck

New member
I just checked and the prongs look ok; the black part came off pretty well. I cannot tell if the wires seem weaker--I'm sorry, I don't know what you mean. And, would an actual GFI power strip be safe? Thank you so much for helping me--I'm pretty upset and scared right now.
 

SlowCobra

New member
If the wires burned you would notice that the section looks different and is noticably weaker when squeezing and/or folding it over.
 

omni2226

Premium Member
Go to Lowes or Home Depot and ask for a Ground Fault Cicuit interruptor.
They make them as singles, multiple plug in and as powerstrips.
Usally find them in the elecrical/contractor section.
DO NOT buy the el cheapo one, get the Shock Buster brand.
 

SlowCobra

New member
Me, personally, I would just buy a new QUALITY GFI powerstrip and try it out. If after inspecting all of the devices for damage, and none noted that is.
 

awestruck

New member
Thanx--I'm on my way. When I plug everything in I'll watch it for a while to see how everything is doing. This is SO scary. I'm envisioning trying to get my son out of the house if a fire starts, and the pets as well if there's time.
 

MTB

New member
Shock buster is a reliable brand. That's the brand I used until I installed a separate GFI circuit for my aquariums.
 

omni2226

Premium Member
Ya thats why I said to get the Shock Buster brand.
Costs more but when water and electicity are in play you dont want to mess around.
Before plugging everything back in make sure its all dry, and plug in one thing at a time so if something is fried you will know what it is.
 

Sk8r

Staff member
RC Mod
Get a hairdryer and be sure everything is really dry before you plug stuff back in.
 

awestruck

New member
Thank you everyone--really, thank you. I was ready to take my animals to the LFS and start over at a different time.
 
Top