Please help: Red Sea MaxC-250 leak

DunnoMuch

On June 17th, I purchased a used Red Sea 250. It is an awesome setup with a chiller, custom LED lighting (for Display tank and under stand!), Jaebo variable speed pumps, GFO reactor, ATO, etc. I have been out of the hobby for several years due to having kids, but am ready to jump back in. Everything has been going excellent over the last month. Except live sand, the tank came with no livestock. I added my (dry) live rock on the 18th and have been diligently watching the tank, testing the water and getting everything dialed in. I have not purchased any livestock. I wanted the tank to be perfect and although it went through a mini cycle with some algae, everything has been on track with excellent water parameters.

Here is where the trouble starts. Last Sunday, I did some testing, water change, changed the GFO media, moved the ATO from outside stand to inside. On Monday, I looked under the stand and there was a small amount of water on top of the door. No big deal I thought, probably left over from Sunday's work. I wiped it off with no thought. On Tuesday, came home and there it was again. I took off the plastic between tank and stand and found three separate tiny seeping leaks between tank and stand!!! I searched tank with flashlight for at least 90 min. to find source of leak. It is not coming from any equipment or from higher on the tank. It seems to be coming from UNDERNEATH the tank!

I am so upset. I have been taking it slow and was so excited to get back into the hobby only to be hit with this. Very discouraging!!!

I will post pics soon, but does anyone have any ideas or experience with a leak like this!? I think my options are as follows:

1. Tear down tank and look for leak and try to fix it myself.
2. Wait another week to see if anything changes (leak is tiny, but there)
3. Contact Red Sea directly and see what, if anything, they can do for me.
4. Go to LFS, Neptune Aquatics in San Jose, CA and see what they recommend. They are a Platinum dealer for Red Sea.

Any advice or new ideas are greatly appreciated!

WOW! I think your only option is #1. That small leak can turn into a big leak or a pane may detach. Work with Red Sea because there is a defect somewhere and this is their responsibility.

The C-250 has all the equipment contained in a rear partition, except if you have the chiller which sites underneath, correct? I'd probably first examine all the tubing for the chiller and work from there. If it's a leak with the actual tank, Contacting Red Sea to see what they can do for you will probably be the best option, IMO.

Explore all of your other options first. Since the tank was purchased used, I'm not sure how much of a responsibility Red Sea has to help you in this case. Of course, it could never hurt to ask.

Explore all of your other options first. Since the tank was purchased used, I'm not sure how much of a responsibility Red Sea has to help you in this case. Of course, it could never hurt to ask.

I missed the mention that it was used. I think you'll have to find that leak on your own and try to get Red Sea to work with you. This is one of the reasons I don't buy used items. I'm too worried about what might have happened before I came along. I don't care how much a great deal is, I typically will just buy new.

Thanks, everyone, really appreciate the input. I know buying used is always a risk and agree that Red Sea has no obligation at this point, but I have always had very good luck with used equipment. The tank was beautiful in the original owner's house. Also, I've had it a month with no leaks. The responsibility of this issue certainly lies with me and I don't think it was pre-existing.

GimpyFin - Yes, the sump is on the back and you are right. There is minimal equipment outside, but there are a lot of wires and hoses for chiller, ATO, hanging over the back. I inspected thoroughly and I can't find any water leaking.

I couldn't help but swing by the LFS on my lunch break. They seemed pretty convinced that it was a leak (maybe a microcrack) on the bottom. They said it is not totally uncommon. I was hoping I could buy just the replacement tank, but LFS told me they can only sell the whole system (tank, stand, hood, lighting, etc.).

I also called Red Sea. They confirmed LFS can't sell parts. $325 + shipping for a new tank, not as bad as I thought. I would probably get a new stand too. The laminate on the old one was peeling in some places and there is some new peeling with the leaking. The stand is $315. Now we are talking $740 + ~$200? freight or $940+ for replacement parts.

Latest options:

1. Tear down tank and look for leak and try to fix it myself. Red Sea said you really need to remove and replace a whole panel, you can't just dab some silicon on it. I probably wouldn't trust the tank after that.
2. Get replacement parts for $940 (maybe more with shipping)
3. New Reefer 250 Deluxe $1900, 350 Deluxe $2450, Max 260 $2299

I'm trying rationalize the new tank, but I really shouldn't. The fiscally responsible thing to do is get the $325 tank and skip the stand. I was happy with the stand before the leak.

Can't believe I got back into this hobby. Thoughts?

Back