Please help with new Red Sea Reef foundation test kit

godzen

I'm a little confuse with the magnesium part of this test kit. For both the Ca and Alk, one would titrate the sample water until the color in the container turns completely to the end color. This is easy. However, on the Magnesium instruction, it is less obvious. From what I understand, you titrate with the mag reagent drop by drop until you see "THE FIRST" glimpse of the color change? This is the measurement that you want? Basically, the color would give a hint of turning from pink to blue but that's it. It quickly turns back to pink. If this is the correct method, then this test is pretty useless since it is very hard to detect that subtle change in color.

Now, if I go all the way and titrate until the color in the bottle complete turns blue, I would have used up too much reagent according to the instruction. At the level, my mag would be 1600+ which I think is incorrect as I don't dose and use basic IO salt.

any input from owner of this kit?

Make sure you aren't pushing the air out of the titration syringe. I made this mistake a few times and gave me inaccurate results.

And no it's not the first color change because it will turn blue then come back to pink with a little shaking. You continue until it turns blue and stays blue.

And no it's not the first color change because it will turn blue then come back to pink with a little shaking. You continue until it turns blue and stays blue.
+1 I've been using the foundation kit for quite a while and have found the results to be accurate.

Make sure you aren't pushing the air out of the titration syringe. I made this mistake a few times and gave me inaccurate results.

man...this is insane...getting different answer from everyone. Call up Red sea and a lady rep (claim to be familiar with the kit) told me that you stop as soon as the first blue appear (of course it changes back to pink after shaking).

If I follow your method and continue until the water turns blue and stay blue, I will use more than 0.8mL which is 1600+ for mag. I find that hard to believe since I do not dose and use regular IO salt. Of course, I don't have any corals right now beside a RBTA so maybe my mag should be high?

also, what do you mean by pushing air out? I draw up the sample to the 1mL mark. Of course, at the 1mL mark on the syringe, the water level is at 0.85 mL mark. As soon as I depress the titrator, only reagent comes out, no air. Is that correct?

I guess I could be wrong. I'm assuming "End color" means exactly that though...END color. Not "this color for a fraction of a second."

I guess I could be wrong. I'm assuming "End color" means exactly that though...END color. Not "this color for a fraction of a second."

yeah, if you read the instruction, the ca and Alk test are similar in that you compare the end color. However, on the Mag, the wording in the instruction is slightly different. It basically said to note that level of reagent used "THE FIRST" time color change, not when color turns completely blue.

Wow, can't believe all these recommendation for Red Sea tests and no one knows for sure. The difference from when the sample first turn blue and when it stays blue is about 300...

anyone compared this with a LFS?

so your result is accurate by titrating until the sample water turn blue and stay completely blue?
If you hit it right, it will turn a light blue color. Over a few mins, it will turn back to a pink/purple. This is the correct reading. Another drop after that will permanenly turn the solution blue.

Back