please help with this biocube question

coachtjm

hey guys picked up a biocube today at petstore....supposed to be a 14 gallon but when we filled it I really only think we put about 9 gallons or so....

are these overrated in size?

we did have the sandbed in maybe an inch or so deep but should not have take up 5 gallons or so?

any experience thanks

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15480554#post15480554 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by coachtjm
with our jugs we get our r/o water in 5 gal jugs
Is it Culligan? Sometimes I get Culligan DI water and I know their jugs are supposed to be 5 gallons, but they're actually more like 4.5 gallons.

I believe that the actual volume that COULD go into a biocube includes the back chambers too. Instructions say to fill it to the "max" line and stop. BUt I think that is where you are missing most of your gallons.

I bought a aquac remora skimmer for my tank (29) and it fit good. I think you have the same amount of room for one on the back chamber #2 as well. In order to run a skimmer back there, you have to fill up the back chambers to the rim.

I have my back chambers about 75% full to cut down on the waterfall noises. I was able to get about 12-gal into my cube but also had about 50# of sand (2.5") in there. Then my CPR skimmer holds about another gallon. Although adding LR will probably displace about a gal.

Last edited:
Re: please help with this biocube question

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15479839#post15479839 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by coachtjm
hey guys picked up a biocube today at petstore....supposed to be a 14 gallon but when we filled it I really only think we put about 9 gallons or so....

are these overrated in size?

we did have the sandbed in maybe an inch or so deep but should not have take up 5 gallons or so?

any experience thanks

AIO (All In One) systems are like this. My 34 solana really holds about 30 gallons of water (with water only).

20x20x20 would hold close to 34 gallons. One you put the back with the pumps in there and all that plastic it displaces at least 4 gallons. Then you add rocks and sand and it displaces even more.

Absolutely. One reason why I keep track of how much water going into and comes out of the system.

Back