Plumbing a closed loop

wharfrat48

Premium Member
I'm currently plumbing my closed loop for my 180g and was wondering the best way to mount my external pump. I have the option of mounting it vertically or horizontally, vertically there would be a 90 elbow on the return (output) side of the pump--- horizontally the 90 elbow would be on the drain (input) side. Does it makes difference either way? Would there be too much stress on the elbow joint with 1700gph flow? Would there be a greater reduction of flow depending on where the 90 elbow was?

Thanks

Your probably better with the elbow on the output, just a little less restriction on the input of the pump. as mounting horizontally is prob better so it makes it easier for heat to escape from the pump motor.

Well I can only mount it one way. What do you think is more important, pump cooling or less restriction on the intake side?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9878429#post9878429 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by wharfrat48
What do you think is more important, pump cooling or less restriction on the intake side?

One in the same...Restrict the intake, pump has to work harder.
Working harder, More heat.

You should check your pump manufacture some external pumps require you to mount the pump horizontally or you will damage the pump bearings.

I know this might sound a little crazy but I bought a quite one external pump and it was in the caution section of the owners manual

It probably won't matter but if you restrict the inlet you are more prone to cavitation which will introduce air bubbles into your tank.

Back