plumbing a pump for a filter, help needed

mmd

i was a reefer, now im not, but i know u guys would be the most knowledgable.
i have a 125 that despite all filtration is never fully clear of particulate matter so im getting a nu clear 533 with the 25 micron sleeve. im going to plumb w/flexible tubing, its rated for 600-1200 gph, i want 600-800 in and hopefully a good bit of current coming out into the tank.
does it matter if the pump (probably a mag drive) is in the cabinet pumping into the filter or can it be on the outtake pulling from the filter?
also does the pump have to be inline in the cabinet or can it be in the tank either as intake our out take ?

it would be better to push into the filter, as pumps are designed to PUSH not PULL. you want the pump to PULL with the least restriction availible. im sure u could have the pump submersed

thanks for reply
what is a good reliable inexpensive pump for 600-900 gph with a fairly low (under 60 watts) power consumption, i was looking at quiet one and the mag ?

I would not put anything on the intake and restrict te flow of water. So part one of your answer would be to put the micron sleeves on the return side of the pump. Also the micro sleeves will clogs too often and again with restrict the ability of the pump to perform properly.

As for putting in the tank, I would stray away from this as well. the amount that it is going pull through the intake could very well damage any unsuspecting animal that may wander near the intake.

If you put a prefilter spong on the pump this would cut down the possiblity of the above problem but it would have to put some place that you can readily get to it to clean the sponge as it will get clogged.

Good luck!

Back