Plumbing a sump that is taller than top of aquarium stand

Darth_Tater

Hi all!

I'm setting up a new project and have an issue that needs addressing. So I've got an 80 gallon corner aquarium that is going to have a massive 75 gallon sump behind the wall next to it. Yes, it's overkill, but I paid a whole $40 for the sump + $6 for a new bulkhead which is cheaper than just the 40 breeder I was going to buy and make into a sump.

So anywho, my issue is this: The top plywood/fiberboard whatever piece of the stand is laying on a 2x4 frame. The bottom of that frame is 21.5" from the ground. As you are probably aware, the top of a 75 gallon tank is 21" high. This will make it difficult (as in impossible) to get my 1" PVC lines into the sump.

The simplest answer of course is to add some height to the bottom of my stand, but my woodworking skills are scary at best so I'm looking for alternatives.

I was wondering if it's possible to have a 1" or so rise in the drain lines going into the sump since they will still be a good 31" below the water line in the tank. I guess wondering if it's possible is the wrong way to put it since I'm pretty sure it will work, but are there any reasons I should not try it?

Sorry for the long winded explanation and thanks for any ideas!

Water will always try to find the same level-in other words, you could run the drain straight up and the water would stop at the surface of the display tank. It should work, but there is the possibility (probability?) of detritus collecting at the low point.

Can you design access to it in order to clean it out?

Is there any way to use 1 1/2" drain?

I think it is generally not a good idea to have upwards sections in the drain as they can airlock. Why don't you grind a hole in the side of the 75 gallon sump.

I think it is generally not a good idea to have upwards sections in the drain as they can airlock. Why don't you grind a hole in the side of the 75 gallon sump.

I agree. Adding bulkheads to the side of the 75g makes more sense than trying to go back up. JMO.

Hmm, Ok. I guess I'll just attach a layer or two of 2x4s to the bottom of my stand to raise it up a bit. Much easier than drilling 2 holes in the sump and much better than an airlock causing a flood. Thanks for the input!

I'd highly recommend building a new stand all together or do as suggested and drill the sump, it is so much easier than people think

Back