Plumbing Bulkheads

frbrd84

I have a 125 mega flow tank I'm getting ready to plumb , was going to replace the bulkheads on it since the previous owner had them glued so close they need to be cut off was wanting to know what are the best one's to replace them with ? I'm pretty sure the drain's are 1 " and the return's are 3/4", also would it be better to use reg seal's or uniseals on them Thanks

i can only tell you what I have, which is not the uniseal. I got it from my lfs, since they are not necessarily common even at Lowe's or HD. Mine has a simple round flat gasket, which I fitted inside the tank, with its pvc component; and the reciprocal pvc section outside the tank. I used a small amount of teflon tape and tightened it to a snug but not crushing pressure: a woman SHOULD be able to hand-tighten the fitting to a good pressure. Overtightening of course can crack the glass and ruin the tank. I did have a little seepage after, and just wrapped a towel around it and checked it the next day, by which time the seep had stopped due to the gasket settling in: warm water and pressure. That's what I know. Be VERY careful not to let a sandgrain or crud get between the gasket and the glass or anwhere in the operation, as that can mess up the seal. The tank is still going with the original seal, put in place about ten years ago. Hope that helps some, and hope you can get an answer from somebody with more choice in supply than I had. ;)

could anyone tell me what would be the correct bulkhead to use on this tank, my tank is presently on its stand and I have been trying to get them removed , seemed to be seized on may have to cut them off and order new one's , noticed they have slip to slip or threaded to threaded ?? Thanks it's a aqueon megaflow tank

I prefer threaded below the tank and a slip connection inside (without PVC glue, just pressure fitted for easy removal) the tank/overflow box for drain lines and thread/thread bulkheads for the pressurized return lines. Threaded connections allow you to make changes easily to your plumbing lines in the future. Remember you should not use Teflon tape or Teflon pipe joint compound on PVC, it makes it too easy to over-tighten the connections and risk cracking the PVC fittings. Use a non-Teflon pipe thread compound, I like Rectorseal.

I wound up getting threaded on both ends, when I finally removed the old bulkheads both sides were threaded with a pvc fitting on the inside for the drain and return to slip inside of it , next figure the better valve to use on the return and drain either ball valve or gate valve , working on the plumbing part next

A cheap ball valve will most likely be a bear to operate after a while & may even freeze up.
If you do a Herbie Drain use a Gate Valve.

Sounds good , will get some gate valves thinking about turning the returns into full time drains and running the return up the back in it's own line's , did some research in plumbing the mega flow

Back