plumbing: Do's and Don't

aoc230

Aoc230
was thinking of making larger refugium/sump and was wanting to move everything from the main floor to the basement, my only problem is the know how? the basement is finished and i was wondering how you channel the tubing to the basement? maybe also share a few things you didn't take into consideration when you first moved things and then weren't happy with.....

My basement is not finished so that was a plus. Ive got a 125 in the wall open on both sides with a false wall to hide the ends of the tank, my tank is also drilled on one end so its a clear view looking through.. So i used flexible pool hose to run from the tank to the basement so that nothing could bind and cause a crack. Then once in the basement i switched to pvc witch is fastend to the wall. I also used a big two speed pump salvaged from my old hot tub that had plenty of flow and would have no trouble with lifting my water back up 14 feet. My only prob was the placement of my check valve. I placed it just after the pump but before the manifold that controls my water flow and where it goes,, witch now lets all the water in tank to drop about 3 inch when the pump is off and allows all the water in the lines to drain back as well due to the open return from the manifold to the sump.. Not a real big deal but not how i wanted it to work its a 300 gal poly sump so it can handle it. dont forget that your pump will have prob at least 8 foot of lift not counting the bends and elbows as well.. may want to place things where they have a comon wall if posible that helped me as well. wish i could help more but it went together well for me.. if theres anything else you need mesg me if i can help i will if i cant ill tell ya i dont know..

My basement is not finished either. I ran flex pvc in the wall as it went down to the basement and then switch to rigid pvc. Something I never thought of until the sump was in place was painting the ductwork with rustolium paint to prevent it from rusting do to moisture that an exhaust fan/dehumidifier wouldn't get out of the air. Definately paint the ductwork first.

beautifull guys this is what i aws looking for. you always set something up and afterwards wish you had done a few finishing touches(like the ones liseted) to make it all work in the end.. always easier to get it right off the hop
more concerned as my basement is finished and i know that'll be a little harder??

thanks for the input guys

Oh one other thing i wish i had put compression unions between my hose barb for the flex line and the ridgid pvc they hose is a pain to get off the barb if you chose to change something or have to move something around after it put together..

Oh one other thing i wish i had put compression unions between my hose barb for the flex line and the ridgid pvc they hose is a pain to get off the barb if you chose to change something or have to move something around after it put together..

no doubt good call, try pulling and end up breaking something once it finally decides to let loose lol

Back