plumbing help

jet fixer

I was planning on installing a hofer gurgle buster http://home.everestkc.net/jrobertson57268/HGB/HGB_construction.html in the 75RR I'm setting up.

After a lot of reading about plumbing I'm leaning toward a Herbie over flow. The issue I'm having is I cannot put the returns over the edge because I have some bird netting covers to keep the fish in. My main concern is salt spray in the sump area. Can I just submerge the drain and stick with the original plan?

The only other option I can think of is drilling the back glass for the return. I don't think the back glass is tempered I'm awaiting an email from Aqueon to make sure.

Does anyone have any other ideas on how to plumb my system?

I would drill it if I were you. Easy way to tell if you have tempered or not can be found in this thread.

Drew are you talking about return or drain? I just went thru this and didn't like the HGB, too loud went with a Herbie becasue I only had 2 bulkheads. I will put water in on sat or sunday and see/hear difference.

sorry reread it, find a way to go over the back, just take out a small peice of the frame or just back inch open. Alittle more work you could eurobrace the back and drill hole for pipe

Mike,
I'm talking about the return. Right now I'm thinking adding a bulkhead to the top back of the overflow then "T" off the returns to the slots Aquenon provides on the over flow. Then I'll use the provided holes for the main and emergency drains on the bottom of the tank. I've been looking at it, I should have enough room. Plus, I think it will give me a little cleaner looking installation this way.

I went the Herbie route and it is silent, much better than the gravity drain. If you have at least 2 drains look into the hebie or 3 with the bean. Takes a little adjment but so far I like it. If my return didn't drip I would have more feedback. Good luck
Mike

Back