Plumbing my first reef system together. Advice please

Chris87

Hey reefer buddys,

I'm soon about to start plumbing up my system and was wondering what you guys have done in ur system to prevent leaks, whether you have used:

PTFE
Solvents
Silicon
or possibly none at all.

All advice appreciated.

Thanks Chris

i try to use non threaded bulkheads and pvc fittings 99% of the time with regular pvc glue. no leaks or problems so far. in my experience threaded fittings give play if not done right.

Makes sense bnumair, so you think the best way to go is using ordinary slip in pvc piping with slip in fitting?

What about the bulkheads where there is a thread have you used any kind of sealant on those?

PS that's a big tank you have :), I have a 140 gallon tank and I think that is big, yours must be enormous.

Make sure your bulkhead is on right. I used some kind of black glue from home depot to put my pipes together but i made sure it was reef safe

Fill your tank up n test it running for 48hrs to see if anything needs re glued or tighten the bulkhead

Hi Reefaholic,

Yes, im going to be using a few unions to make the system easy to break apart for cleaning etc... and im going to try to stick to 45 degree elbows so that I don't reduse the flow as much.

I will search the beananimal overflow now.

Thanks for the input :)

thenewguy997 I have just purchased some glass silicone sealant from the local hardware store and it specifically states for windows and aquariums, saying it is aquarium safe.
The brand is Selleys.
I will be using this silicon sealant round my 3 bulkheads to prevent leaking at the back of the tank.

But I need to find the suitable glue to use for the PVC piping, can u recall the name/brand of the glue you used?
Thanks

use sch80 bulkhead if you can. sch 40 pvc is fine. ABS is ok also. I had a hard time finding PVC sanitary tee for Bean Animal Overflow. Had to buy online. Fond out later that ABS is totally fine.

use reef safe silicone! GE Type I or buy it at Petmart

Gate Valves and certain sized ball valves are hard to find local. Plan ahead and buy some online if required.

if you want to paint your PVC, paint it AFTER you primer and glue it. regular home depot PVC primer and cement is fine.
100_0074-1.jpg

WEAR GLOVES!
10366129_10100664632278580_3443884262650807948_n.jpg

Last edited:
find a pool supply place near u or pond supply i generally find most of the stuff i need there if not hen online.
also on the bulkhead itself do not use anything. just the gasket that came with it and handtight.

thenewguy997 I have just purchased some glass silicone sealant from the local hardware store and it specifically states for windows and aquariums, saying it is aquarium safe.
The brand is Selleys.
I will be using this silicon sealant round my 3 bulkheads to prevent leaking at the back of the tank.

But I need to find the suitable glue to use for the PVC piping, can u recall the name/brand of the glue you used?
Thanks

Do not i repeat do not use any glue or sealant on the bulkhead. It breaks thw seal,. If a bulkead is clean and done right itll never leak, the silicone will causw leaks i tried it

find a pool supply place near u or pond supply i generally find most of the stuff i need there if not hen online.
also on the bulkhead itself do not use anything. just the gasket that came with it and handtight.

Yep, like Reeflo pump seals for $15.00!!
Who cares if they aren't saltwater seals if you change them regularly.

Back