Plumbing Question - How to get rid of the toilet bowl sound

Flax

Hello all,
So here is the deal, I bought this 135 used from a guy on here. It is drilled 4 times in the back about 5 in below the top trim. Threw in my bulkeads, plumbed it, everything works and runs good. On the inside of the tank I have a 90 elbow pointing up with the strainer. Coming out of the back I have a T with a cap on top with a hole drilled through the top. Then it all heads to my sump...

How do I get rid of the toilet bowl sound of the water going down the elbow to the sump?

-I tried raising and lowing the strainer

-I tried adding some airline tubing into the return

-I tried adding airline tubing in the T

-HELP!

Thanks...

I cut my overflow pvc piping at an angle and adjusted the height until I had an acceptable noise level. It didn't get rid of the sound completely, but did make a quiet, smoother flow...

First off, is the cap glued to the tee? If it is not, you can do what I did; cut a slot in the tee and cap, on both sides. If you have a table saw, you can do this by rasing the blade above the table about 1/4"-3/8", then CAREFULLY running the cap across the blade. This will create a groove on both sides of the cap. Do the same thing with the pipe that is inside the tee; the one the cap sits on. Now you have an adjustable air gap. Absolutely noisless, and no hoses or holes to clean out. You can do the same thing by putting the cap on the pipe and drilling a hole all the way through the pipe and cap, but I thought that would still be prone to fill up with crap. Mine has been performing flawlessly and noise free for about 6 months now.

Here's a pic of the pipe that goes into the tee, and the cap:

OFLW_SEP.jpg

If you use the same cap, you'll have to plug the hole in the top. Hope this helps!

Thanks all... I will try these ideas. The cap is not glued so cutting these will not be hard.

Thanks again. Will post post back with an update!!!

The easy way to deal with this is to use a Durso Standpipe just like he has on his website, you can make it even easier to dial in by adding a valve to the air intake portion of the standpipe at the top. You can see how I did this in my gallery, it is the only ball valve that you can see from the "bird's eye view" photo. The photo was taken right after I moved and before the tank was set up again. The return is new but the drain is just like it ever was and still runs to this day without the flushing effect.

Re: Plumbing Question - How to get rid of the toilet bowl sound

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7536381#post7536381 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Flax
On the inside of the tank I have a 90 elbow pointing up with the strainer.

Durso or Stockman standpipes probably won't work since you aren't using an overflow. Try turning the elbow at an angle so that the water pours into the strainer instead of the water covering it then flushing down.

doh, uh...I guess I read the post wrong. dsalillas is right, I have seen this application work well for people who have the hole configuration that you have.

i have a similar setup. i had to use a small pipe (1/2" OD) and placed it iside of the 90 drain to stop the swirling. the water goes into the small pipe as well so it wont slow the flow, just stop the flushing. i also added a JG ball valve in the cap outside to control the air going in then added hose to the iside of my stand to stop that air sucking sound.

Hooray!

The toilet bowl sound is gone. Thank you to everyone that replied. I used one of your ideas. I took about 1/2in tubing, put it inside the 90 elbow and poof, no more sound! Love it. except my tank is at 88 degrees. But that is another story.

Thanks again...,

One more question, which is quieter for an overflow to the sump, flexible tubing or pvc pipe? right now I am using flexible tubing. Its ok but I am on a quest for the quiet tank...

-Thanks all again...

cool! glad i could help out!

my tank was sooo loud when i first set it up that it would keep me, my wife and our son awake at night on the 2nd floor! i tried everything under the sun!

i had a professional tank design and install company come over and he said "That is the loudest tank I have ever heard!" he had no idea how to help or where to start. after and hour we had one overflow tweeked a bit but then after about 3 more days of 1000+ ideas this is the one that worked....

now if i can stop the pump vibration in the basement.........

Flax, I am inspire by your success and I hope you can embellish your comment "I took about 1/2in tubing, put it inside the 90 elbow and poof, no more sound!". Can you describe this in further detail? pictures? sketches? I also have the toilet flushing sound and would like to understand the solution that worked for you hoping it may work for me as well. Thanks in advance for the inputs!

ill see if i can get some pics up today......

i may have had a leg up here: my BH are 1.5" and my elbow is a 3">1 1/2" reducer.....

Back