Plumbing questions....head loss

Thinslis

Ok, I'm trying to design the plumbing for my new tank. There are two return lines to the tank. The water needs to come up about a foot, turn 90, go about 2-3 feet, split in half, go about 2 feet, 90 and up into the tank about 5 feet.

Now from what I've read on a one inch pipe a 90 add about 6-7 feet of head loss? If I add that all up its like 30 feet of head loss.... that doesn't sound right?!?

Someone help me out please! =)

Most of the head loss comes from pumping the water against gravity and frictional loses due to length and diameter of the pipe. The fittings are calculated as minor losses. You can use the calculator to find out your Total Dynamic Head. Unless you know how to do the calculations you will never be able to do it. I learned how when I took Aquarium systems design in school. I'm presently studying Aquarium science and Aquaculture in school.

Friction losses also depend on flow.
A 90 elbow with 200gph would be less than a half inch head loss. In the same system, up the flow to 1000gph, that same 90 would be around 6 inches, and be the difference of about 25gph. Probably won't matter at all, but something to think about, too.
The best I could do messing around with the calculator is about 2.5 inches loss per 90 degree elbow, at around 7000gph, one inch pipe.

I'm trying to get around 1500gph flow, according to the calculator I need a pump rated for 4000gph to achieve that....

I wouldn't push that much flow through your sump. You are potentially setting yourself up for a whole bunch problems. You will probably end up with very poor filtration and microbubbles.

Also a 4000 GPH pump is going to be really big and loud. Not to mention the upfront and ongoing expense of such a big pump.

You want to try to achive 10x turnover in the tank, but it shouldn't all come from your sump. BEst rate for sump as others have said is 3x-5x. You get the rest of the movement from Powerheads or a closed loop.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10491972#post10491972 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gordemer
You want to try to achive 10x turnover in the tank, but it shouldn't all come from your sump. BEst rate for sump as others have said is 3x-5x. You get the rest of the movement from Powerheads or a closed loop.

This is true. Some corals will want more turnover (even 20x or 30x), but that still does not mean you want to change the flow to the sump. Like gordemer and others have said, you don't want too much of this going through the sump.

Sounds like you have it handled. Good luck with your new toy. The head loss due to frctional losses are negligable in a home aquarium. You just don't have enough piping and fittings. All your head loss is due to gravity also known as operating head. The Total Dynamic Head is usually calculated for large aquaculture systems or large retail fish stores.

Back