Pods Question

Kakabub

I'm getting quite a decent pod population in my sump/fuge and was wondering the best way to get them into my DT. Will they just migrate through the return or do I need to scoop up some of the water manually and put it in the tank? I have a pretty thick filter between my fuge that goes to the skimmer and then to the return pump, it doesn't look like they would make it through that but that's why I'm asking...
IPhone.jpg

This is an older picture but you get the idea, the blue filter is what I'm wondering about if the pods can make it through that to the return.

Toss a (new) green scrubby pad in your sump and deposited a little bit of food on in now and then. You will have a full blown pod circus performing within a month or so(maybe less all things considered). Just move that to an out of the way place in the tank when your ready - this way you get ALLOT of undamaged pods that should be reproducing to inoculate the system.

Hey 100% what are you gonna do to keep junk from getting sucked up into your return pump? I have tons of chaeto floating around and I don't want that getting back into the DT.

well i kinda took an old filter cartridge and modified it so that it has slots it it to allow copepods through but not large pieces of algae. i put that where the sponge thing is. i dont have a camera so i cant show you..... but what i did was took my filter pad off my eclipse and cut off all the blue spongy thing and emptied out the carbon. then i rinsed it real well in vinegar water. i then took an exacto knife and shaped it how i wanted it. i cut out some of the slats in the bottom so that its big enough to let pods through and not algae. theres probably a much easier way, but i was bored and i have too much extra time....

Last edited:
L O L, nice one... I really don't wanna get rid of my blue sponge filter thingy cos there is so much chaeto growing off of it right now plus that seems to be where the pods are growing from. I'll try the new scrubber pad first before I do anything else. Everything else is trucking along so well I hate to mix things up too much...

Nice, I wish it was that easy for me. I just really would like to keep my chunky filter between my fuge and skimmer/return. Main reason I'm even worried about this is because I would love to get a Mandarin but don't wanna starve it.

Back