Pom Pom Xenia?

footbagger311

Lover of Reefs and Reefer
Premium Member
So this guy from Craigslist is selling a four polyp stalk for $25. Does this sound like a good deal?

Also, I got my T5 HO light fixture today and I LOVE it.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12921399#post12921399 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Fish_wiz2
Overpriced, if you were closer i have tons for free :(

I'll be moving back to Chicago in a few years when I'm done here. If I don't have any by then, I'll have to hit you up.

No prob let me know i will keep growing them just want to get rid of/trim one of my colonies/huge groups

But ask for $15, $25 is a bit much

I think that price is a bit high.

A word of caution when it comes to Xenia. Keep an eye on it. Xenia can multiply and quickly take over your tank. I ended up having to cook all my rock in order to get rid of an outbreak.

I'd rather have an aiptasia problem then a Xenia problem. Beautiful coral none the less.

What happens is the Xenia starts to "divide and multiply". Basically a stalk will grow another stalk and this new stalk will start branching across the rock it is on. So if this "one lone rock" is near other live rock, it can branch off onto it.

If this one rock is very far apart from everything else, that would be best.

The problem though (and I am going by memory so I may be off on a few things, it was about 2 years ago I had the problem) is that Xenia act much in the same way as Aiptasia, in that if a piece of it breaks off or gets cut off, wherever it lands... tada, new Xenia.

In my case, I believe I had either an Emerald Crab or something else in the tank that would pick at my one Xenia colony, which began spreading Xenia spores all over my tank. In a matter of months, it was out of control.

Do they get a specific height or just reach a certain height then divide themselves? If they got really tall, that would be cool.

Party lights make them groove

xenia4.gif

Back