Poor SPS Survival

ssavader

I have purchased a number of frags of acropora from a LFS, that although browned-out, appear robust and "healthy" and with potential. I purchase them, treat with TMPCC, acclimate to my tank using the drip method, and start low on the reef or on the sand. It seems as though as soon as they are brough higher on the reef (1/2 way up), they start bleaching and ultimately die. I usually give them at least a week or two on or near the bottom before moving them. Any thoughts?

Chemistry- Alk 10-11 dKh
Ca++- 500 ppm
Phosphate/Nitrite/Nitrate-0
Mg- 1000-1190 (presently trying to raise this with B-
Ionic Mg Suppliment) without killing too much from
the chemistry change).

Lighting- 2 10,000k MH
2 96W Fluorescent
4 "night" actinics (~10 W each)

flow!!! i be willing to bet you dont have the sufficent amount nor the right kind of flow. whats telling me this is you keep them on a sand bed for a week, the right amount of flow for sps, acros in particular would be blowing your sand to kingdom come.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11651233#post11651233 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by acrohead500ppm
flow!!! i be willing to bet you dont have the sufficent amount nor the right kind of flow. whats telling me this is you keep them on a sand bed for a week, the right amount of flow for sps, acros in particular would be blowing your sand to kingdom come.

Not necessary I have a sps dominate tank with 2 seio and a return only and running a plenum. This is an older pic but see for yourself.

How old is your tank?

DSC_0129.jpg

i dont have much to add, but you mentioned TMProCC... i use this stuff.. it does a great job... but for me.. it almost always either bleaches the new frags or browns them out.

what kinda fish load do you have?
what, how much, and how often do you feed?

it is possible that the frags could simply be nutrient deprived

Tank size- 125 gallon (reef ready) + 30 gallon refugium w/Cheatamorpha (sp?) on 24 hr continuous light cycle

Flow- 1000 gallon/hr main; 300 gallon/hr via UV sterilizer; 100 gallon/hr via Del tec MCE300 Protein Skimmer; 400 gallon/hr via Chiller; Ecotech Vortex pump- 2 units set on anti-sync reef flow option ~ 1000 gallon/hr = Turnover about 18x/hr

I would perhaps consider moving them up slower.

I would also wonder a little bit if the dip is stressing them further, adding to your issues.

But, for the meantime, I'd consider moving them up slower [a week isn't that long for a coral IMO] - I'd also consider dropping the Ca/Alk to more NSW levels.

I would also re-verify that your salinity measuring tool is calibrated right ... if Ca + Alk are both high, makes me suspicious that SG is high as well.

Kip, this is my fish load:

Foxface- 4"
Bellus Angel- 4"
Eibli Tang- 4"
Bullet goby-4"
Arabian Pseudochromis-3"
Twin spot Hogfish- 2.5-3"
Lyretail Anthias-2"
Melanurus Wrasse-4'

Tell me what you mean when you refer to the SPS as being nutrient deprived? I do feed the SPS with Marine Snow 2x/week.

IMO... marine snow is a waste

keep all of those fish fed well and things should color up

i think the bath stressed them and then moving them within a week of being in the tank stressed them again

assuming all other parameters are accurate.... time is about the only thing that will bring them back around.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11652200#post11652200 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by twon8
so you are running a hob deltec as your only skimmer on a 125?

???

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11651747#post11651747 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Kip
i dont have much to add, but you mentioned TMProCC... i use this stuff.. it does a great job... but for me.. it almost always either bleaches the new frags or browns them out.

what kinda fish load do you have?
what, how much, and how often do you feed?

it is possible that the frags could simply be nutrient deprived

Try a new source for a frag or 2 and see if it happens to them. When I get frags from my LFS I treat with interceptor for 12 hrs and dip TMPCC and never had any issues. Like Kip metion the frag might already be on there way out.

Twon8, yes my Del tec is my only P.S. It is somewhat undersized for my tank but it was the only skimmer that I could find that I could adapt to my refugium. I did not want a unit on the back of the tank where it would show. It works great and makes good quality foam and it is cleaned 2x/wk. Do you think my turn-over rate of 18x/hr is really an issue?

ssavader, I'm not sure what testkits you are using for phosphate, I'll bet that is your problem. Most of the testkits especially Salifert are very inaccurate for phosphate. WIth a small HOB Deltec and you're fishload your phosphate should be pretty high.

Back