Poor womans shadowbox aka painted background

piia

I'm just starting my reef aquarium and wanted to do it so that i would not regret later for not thinking everything threw. So i came across this awesome idea here about a shadow box behind the aquarium. But it seemed too hard to build so i decided to try and paint an imitation of a shadow box. I bought some acrylic paint and used a stencil and a sponge to paint. The difficult part was to think everything from front to back - not like in normal painting when you just keep adding stuff. Whit this you had to paint first the tings you would want to be seen in the front. So kind of backwards. I painted first light and then dark shadows but then i realized that in ocean it really gets lighter in color the further you go. So after lots of scraping and repainting i'm quite happy with the outcome. Still can't tell how it will look with water and live rock. I'm planning to make two islands. My tank is 80g. I just did the silicone (for the first time) and also covered the insides of the aluminium frame with it.

So please tell me what you think! I think for some parts i can still go and change it if you have good ideas or suggestions. Don't mind the stripes in the last photo - it's just the lights and the camera not getting along.

20160415_223531.jpg

20160416_001911.jpg

20160416_210725.jpg

20160416_213134.jpg

Back