Porcupine Puffer QT question!

dinger28

Hey all. Picked up a 5 inch porcupine puffer from the LFS a few weeks ago. They said he pigs out on silversides, but has yet to touch one thing of frozen food. Put 15 ghost shrimp in there and he ate them all! I have tried clams, krill, halibut, and shrimp. He hasn't eaten in over 2 weeks, because the lfs store near here that sells live ghost shrimp went out of business. Any suggestions? I have a 20 gallon high QT, which hopefully isn't too small for him. Let me know. Thanks!

Matt

Have you tried silversides? If he only takes ghost shrimps and you can't get any, you could try live crickets but it's definitely not a long term solution. A LFS around me does that to get puffers to eat.

Yes that is the first thing he tried. He ate them and then spit them out. I'm getting desperate! At least he is still fat....somehow after not eating for 2 and a half weeks.

Don't worry too much yet if he still has good body tone.

What's your process for preparing the frozen foods prior to offering them to him?
Are you using any med in the QT, or are you just observing him right now?

I will simply thaw out the frozen foods and then put it on a stick or sometimes just drop them in there. I do have cupramine in there right now. However, he wasn't eating before I started to add the cupramine. He does have ich as well.

Puffers are generally good eaters. I wonder if the Cryptocaryon is stressing him out a little bit. The curpamine shouldn't knock him off feeding.

What's your thawing process? Overnight in the fridge? On the counter? Under cold running water?

Just leave it on the counter for a little bit and then feed him. I think I am going to combine a few foods and grind them up, then thaw for a little bit with some garlic, and try again. Just a beauty of a fish and don't want him to starve! :)

Back