Porky Puffer Wont eat yet still healthy

tanked_life

Hi everyone, About 4 weeks ago i transferred my porky from his 33 gallon tank that he healthily lived in as a baby for 4 months prior to his new home a 55 gallon tank. When i first put him in, a blue devil damsel kick his *** and for up his left fin so i removed the pesky damsel and now a week later he is still not eating the freeze dried krill that i fed him his whole life before. I feed the tank myso dipped in vitamin enriched garlic supplements and the freeze dried krill but when he goes up to the pieces he tries to eat them but just can't. I have no clue why he is unable to eat but he looks healthy and greets me still every time I bypass the tank. Please help me.

Temp: 77 degrees celsius
Sg 1.024
nitrates close to zero and phosphates too

tank mates: koran angel, diamond watchman goby, all added after petty the puffer.

You mean Fahrenheit right? I would try putting ghost shrimp they are the little shrimp you see at the lfs for 40 cents a piece whenever one of my aggresive fish won't eat I drop some in and they go crazy. Sorry I don't want to be the guy who always says this but eventually your porcupine puffer will grow out of the 55 it will be to narrow

Thank you all for the response but yes I meant farenheit haha it was early in the morning. And yes I know he must be moved when older but I will try the ghost shrimp and hopefully that works and as for the goby, all the fish get along and the puffer is very shy and timid so no need to worry about that

I had a porkie for a long time and truthfully sometimes he would go a week without eating. Don't know why. He was healthy, and are when he wanted. But sometimes he just wasn't hungry.

We'll it is not that he can't move his mouth or isn't interested in the food, it is that when he goes for the food ex krill\myso, he completely misses it like he is blind or something but he see the good just has bad coordination in getting it in his mouth

Koran angel I have seen countless puffers with one eye or none at all because of triggers and angels the big eyes of the porcupine puffer are irresistible for aggressive fish at my lfs I saw a humu humu take both eyes out of a porcupine puffer. Look for scratches or cloudy ness in the eyes

Koran angel I have seen countless puffers with one eye or none at all because of triggers and angels the big eyes of the porcupine puffer are irresistible for aggressive fish at my lfs I saw a humu humu take both eyes out of a porcupine puffer. Look for scratches or cloudy ness in the eyes

We'll so far the koran is just a baby and the puffer is 3 times the size but regardless, he has that blue tint that all puffers have and other than that I can't see anything, it is puzzling. Should I post a picture for you all to see?

I wouldn't stress over the not eating yet, I had a puffer go on a month long hungry strike when I ****ed him off. As long as the belly doesn't sink in to far he'll be ok.

As for food, try to get away from the krill. Try mysis shrimp

Ok tommorow I will post a picture
because the lights are off and I am going to try ghost shrimp I already feed mysis

The fact that he had coordination problems means he was not in good health. Make sure you discontinue feeding it freeze dried krills. It causes lockjaw and the fish will eventually die as a result. Google "puffer and krills" and read through the tons of info on it.

Puffers need to be fed a variety of diets such as raw shrimps, clams, scallops, etc. Krill is not part of their natural diet and does not contain the necessary nutrition for them. They also need to have hard shells to chew on to grind down their ever-growing teeth.

Ok thanks sand for the great info. Do you or anyone else know how to transition him to clams and scallops? I have tried clams before and he had no clue what they were

Ok thanks sand for the great info. Do you or anyone else know how to transition him to clams and scallops? I have tried clams before and he had no clue what they were

It takes time to transition a puffer onto the right diet, especially after it has already been hooked onto krills. This is because puffers are very intelligent animals and can get stubborn like little kids. That's why I always recommend new puffer owners to not feed krill at all. Believe it or not, my first golden puffer was on a krill diet for over a year before I successfully transitioned it to the right diet.

You just have to keep trying different foods and cut back on krill. First try mixing the different kinds of food together with krill and feed to the puffer. It will most likely not eat the rest of the food at first, but keep on trying and hopefully eventually it'll learn to accept other foods. Another thing to do is to completely stop offering krill, and starve it for a week or so. Hungry puffers will be more accepting to other foods, or at least take a sample of them.

Back