Possible baby lettuce nudibranch?

jjakes24

Well, I had a lettuce nudibranch in my tank about 3 months ago. After a week, I never saw him again or the remains of him but he was about 2 inches in size. Today I came home to something on the glass that resembles a very tiny lettuce nudibranch, about a quarter size of a penny in length. I tried getting a picture but it comes up way too blurry. If anyone knows how to use a canon sd800 to get up close, let me know and I'll try again to post a pic. Anyway, is it possible one lettuce nudbranch left some offspring before his demise?

I don't think their offspring tend to survive in our tanks, but that might be possible. I'd guess it's something else.

Why do they not survive? I did not know that. Theoretically, if the adults can survive and lay eggs, should not the babies also be able to survive?

planktonic stages of development.. although I don't know how they grow, that would be my assumption.

I'm wondering if they can shrink with lack of food?

Yes, I suspect that they have planktonic larvae, but I don't know for sure. Sometimes, planktonic larvae will survive, but usually not.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11639084#post11639084 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bertoni
Yes, I suspect that they have planktonic larvae, but I don't know for sure. Sometimes, planktonic larvae will survive, but usually not.

Actually, they will produce offspring that will survive in an enclosed system (as long as the pumps don't get them). I've had it happen and so have others in our club. Here's an example:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1287390

That thread answered it, its definitly a baby lettuce nudi. I had the same exact spiral of eggs on one of my rocks before it died. I thought it was snail eggs this whole time and thought nothing of it. Looks like one made it.

Back