Possibly the coolest fish I've seen yet!!!

kryppy

Moved Down
Found these super awesome Rainford Gobys while diving in Raja Ampat! Can't wait to get a pair for my tank!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9hokGE4jfZY" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

IMO, they are an excellent addition to an established reef. Just check that they are eating whatever you plan on feeding them.

Found these super awesome Rainford Gobys while diving in Raja Ampat! Can't wait to get a pair for my tank!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9hokGE4jfZY" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I just watched a documentary on that area! They were trying to tag pregnant manta rays so they can find out where they go to have their babies! Cool reef area!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are fairly shy in the presence of some fish, and seem to be film-eaters, so mature tank! Beautiful vid!

Definitely second a mature reef, gobies are either the easiest fish to keep in our systems or very finicky with low survival; this one falls to the latter.

Mine rarely eats any food I put in the tank but is nicely plump. I frequently see him sand-sifting -- fun to watch. Probably helps that my sand was live -- collected from the Gulf by Tampa Bay Saltwater.

Yes, a well established tank is a must. I added one a few months ago and he and my 2 Conch's keep my sand immaculate. Since I've had him I haven't seen him eat any of the food I feed my fish, he sifts the sand all day long and when he's not sifting the sand he's picking at algae film around the tank.
Another good thing about them is they don't make a mess with the sand. Unlike some other sifters that rise into the water column when sifting he sifts close to the sand so none of it gets blown around and I have the very fine sugar type sand too. The worst is a light dusting here and there on some corals that eventually comes off with the current, I never had to dig out any corals.

IMO, they are an excellent addition to an established reef. Just check that they are eating whatever you plan on feeding them.

Fortunately my tank has been up for over a decade. I have multiple mandarins running around in there that just eat pods they find!

I just watched a documentary on that area! They were trying to tag pregnant manta rays so they can find out where they go to have their babies! Cool reef area!

All of Indonesia has amazing diving, period! I filmed these super curious mantas in Komodo last year. One pregnant female and two juvenile males. It was AMAZING!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLQeWQsGJxk

I didn't have such great luck with mantas in Raja but I did get a few nice clips that will appear in future videos.

They are fairly shy in the presence of some fish, and seem to be film-eaters, so mature tank! Beautiful vid!

I have lots of room for them to hide and mostly smaller fish! They should be perfect! Thanks for the compliment. The water in Raja is seriously full of phyto so it was a rare treat to get them so clearly!

Definitely second a mature reef, gobies are either the easiest fish to keep in our systems or very finicky with low survival; this one falls to the latter.

I am not surprised by this. I have kept some odd and rare gobies in the past. I eventually gave up on Helicopter/Signal gobies...lol

Mine rarely eats any food I put in the tank but is nicely plump. I frequently see him sand-sifting -- fun to watch. Probably helps that my sand was live -- collected from the Gulf by Tampa Bay Saltwater.

I'm glad to hear this. My sand also came straight from the ocean down here in South Florida, about 15 years ago. I do massive natural sea water changes frequently so most things just do fine in the tank with little work.

Yes, a well established tank is a must. I added one a few months ago and he and my 2 Conch's keep my sand immaculate. Since I've had him I haven't seen him eat any of the food I feed my fish, he sifts the sand all day long and when he's not sifting the sand he's picking at algae film around the tank.
Another good thing about them is they don't make a mess with the sand. Unlike some other sifters that rise into the water column when sifting he sifts close to the sand so none of it gets blown around and I have the very fine sugar type sand too. The worst is a light dusting here and there on some corals that eventually comes off with the current, I never had to dig out any corals.

I was hoping they were just going to swim around like in the video, making those awesome hypnotic moves...lol. This description of their behavior makes me want them even more now though. They will love all the deep sand I have!

Thanks everyone for the comments! I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks they are pretty cool fish!

Wow, what a cool video!
Raja Ampat is an area with one of the highest marine bio diversity on the planet. Should be on every divers bucket list!

Woohoo! Found a pair today!! More like the Old Glory variety but I will take em!

Img_0505.jpg

Ready to head home!

Img_0509.jpg

Last edited:
One of my Favorites as well, Mine is eatting all offered foods. They are also known to eat nuciance algae as well.

Back