Potential HUGE problem with Marineland 300gal. DD

K-ROK

Yesterday I noticed the side (end) pane of glass is not flush with the front where it butts up against it. Its actually pushed out about 1/8" and when looking at the black silicone seal from the front I can see a "line of light" in it about 6" from top to bottom.

I'm really worried. I don't know if I have any options besides draining and resealing it?

Anyone with any similar experience please advise. (Also, can't remember the guy's name but there is a Marineland representative in the group....anyone know him? I'm hoping he can tell me if this is a common defect or something that has occured since I've had the tank. It was made in 2008 and I am the second owner.) Maybe the tank has always been this way?

I will post pics of the defect soon. Thanks for any help as I attempt to avoid catastrophe.

Is it on a marineland stand?

It was until around 3 months ago. I built a taller stand for it that is very heavy duty and completely level. I noticed a gap between the glass and trim at the top of the tank. Shouldn't the trim be against the glass to hold it in?

I read an old thread in large reef tanks about similar situation. It was very well documented. I think the failure was a few months after install. It was a beautiful setup and did some major damage,search for it I'm sure it wont be hard to find it. I think he had a custom stand also and the bottom front seam is the one that burst if I remember right.

I would go buy a bar clamp if were you, just in case. You can atleast pull it back together and avoid a catastrophe until you can make a decision on a move.

Thats a whole lot of water. I know because I have one. Hope u can figure out what to do. If it was me I would put the old tank back up. But that's me. If that tank lets loose u will be in some big trouble 300 gal of it. And no water for your Outher tank and a mess to clean up.

Thanks everyone. I'm well aware of the consequences which is why I'm so worried. There is a gap between the glass and the trim/brace. I'm planning on using a wedge in that gap to add strength to the glass. I'm wondering if I can reseal the corner without draining the tank? Also going to run a bead of clear sylicone on the outside and pack it into the gap between the glass. Hopefully this combination of "fixes" will work out.

great tank. I know you don't want to take it down to reseal. +1 on bracing it ASAP so it does not go b4 you can make a permanent fix.

The top brace isn't even touching the glass. Must be a assembly flaw? I'm going to find some epoxy to fill the gap between the glass and top brace and then silicone the seal area. Hopefully this will eliminate the issue.

Can anyone reccomend an epoxy for this job? The gap between the glass and brace is approx. 1/16" - 1/8". I need something that won't expand, will adhere to both the glass and the brace, and I can work with. (pack into the crevice)

Thanks.

Call marineland. Your plan of attack will be a band aid at best. If you can see light through the seam and it's that large of a tank, it's just a matter of time. Hate to be the downer but it is what it is

Call marineland. Your plan of attack will be a band aid at best. If you can see light through the seam and it's that large of a tank, it's just a matter of time. Hate to be the downer but it is what it is

Thanks for your help. I'm the 2nd owner - just wondering what Marineland can / will do for me if anything???

So the only gap is between the top trim and the glass? If that's the case it's no big deal. Post a pic of it so we can get a better idea of what you are talking about here.

So the only gap is between the top trim and the glass? If that's the case it's no big deal. Post a pic of it so we can get a better idea of what you are talking about here.

Ok hope you are right and this is no biggie. Here are some pics:

832.jpg

833.jpg

In the first picture you can see the light coming through the silicone, the edge of glass (which is the end of the tank) sticking out, and the gap between the glass and the upper brace. The second picture is a closeup and you can see the 1/8" of glass sticking out instead of being flush against the front pane of glass.

I went to Home Depot today and got a piece of 1/8" thick metal and plan to put epoxy on it and gently bump it into place between the trim and glass to allow the trim (brace) to do its job and support the glass.

Any thoughts are welcomed! :hmm4:

Ok so the end pane of glass is not flush with the front pane? If so that sounds bad. Sticking something between the glass and the trim will do little to help as the trim is not designed to hold the tank together. It is only designed to help support the glass from bowing, it does nothing for holding the seams together. I wish my first post was correct.

It's hard to tell from the pics.............but if there is actual seperation of the panes I'd say you have an issue. If the panes just aren't flush but glued together that's not a problem.

My 120g all glass has more than one pane that isn't flush & it has held water for 12+ years with no issues.

Back