Powder Blue (Don't yell at me too loud)

oharaell

Premium Member
Ok, So, my LFS told me my 36x18x25 was big enough for a small Powder Blue.

He seemed really happy for about 2 months, but now he's got ich some kinda bad. He's still eating (and eating well). In fact, he'll just about come give my finger a kiss during feeding.

Catching him is probably an impossibility without a trap. I've got about 115 LBS of LR with plenty of interconnecting caves. Enough that my cleaner can hide for a week without being seen, then he just shows up on the back of a fish.

LFS says just double up on the garlic and he'll be fine (eventually).
It doesn't look like anyone else has got ich. I've got a small school of green chromis,6 line, yellow tang, 1 Rabbitfish and a Black Saddle clown.

I've got SPS,LPS and Softies in the tank, so adding somethign to the water is scary...

HELPPPPPP!!!!

Ideas anyone? Or was the LFS right, just keep up with the garlic?

I had a similar problem about 1 year ago and got Seachem Metronidazole. I simply soaked the food in alittle aquarium water and then sprinkled the med. on it. I would let it sit for alittle bit so it would stick. I feed all of the fish this for about a month and it completely went away and I haven't seen any signs of it. So you could try this. It didn't appear to hear any of my corals or shrimps either. HTH

I would stay with the garlic. I actually chop up a half clove and feed it some during the week to mine. I also have a UV Sterilizer and I think that works great. A thread on Nano-Reef under Large Tanks has a guy who had some tangs on the verge of death covered in ich and he treated with all kinds of stuff and it never cleared it up. Once he bought the UV it cleared it up. He is a firm believer as well.

I had a PBT for several months and got rid of him because of the repeated ich outbreaks. I quarantined the fish for one month under copper as soon as he was introduced to the display tank he had ich.

I ended up netting him out, placing him back in qt with copper and again after 2 months of qt he got ich again in the display. I used copper, paraguard and some other stuff (soaking in garlic was one) to treat him, all failed when he was in the display, even though I had a large wattage UV Sterolizer.

After his third outbreak I treated him until the ich appeared gone and gave him away. Beautiful fish, no doubt about that, though I think they are better suited for a fish only keeper that can maintain a low salinity or a light solution of copper in their water.

ok i have used kcik ick before for my PBT with no success and lots of money down the drain literally lol. second my pbt finally got so bad when i was away sometime and my mom actually went to the lfs and bought something I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT but when i got home he was ick free and happy ever since no outbreaks no nothgin she treated the whoel tank with is a 90 gallon with about 90 lbs of live rock when i came home all was still alive bristtle worms sand worms snails hermits and of course the rock ;) now when i ask what she bought she has no idea btu it worked. and its been about 2 yrs now and no outbreaks in the tank also i should add the tang s only friend were 2 zebra gobies so now hes the king of the tank a nd noone can come into his territory and i mean noone. except me ;) now when i plan on moving him into my 220 reef in about a yr after all the other fish are in there because i cant add any other fish after him so he will be the new guy to about 20 other fish so im hoping they will keep him in line :) expecially the regal angel. now when i move him he will first be put into his won qt tank and put into hypo just to make sure because i am paranoid even though there hasnt been any outbreaks in 2 yrs ;) and there well be a pretty penny in the tank in fish by then so its worth it. now the key to keeping one of these beautiful fish you alrdy have and that is the fact that he is eating and eating no matter what thats what made mine able to make it through whatever he went throguh btu i heard at one point he looked more white than blue if u get my drift ;'( but i would go with hypo to kill all the ick. so that means get your hands on a trap or DIY one ;) or just upgrade and move everyhting in the tank into the new tank then hypo the tank that u have now ;) BEST IDEA ;) hehe

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9867438#post9867438 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by oharaell
Yeah. But if I upgrade my Tank, I'm gunna have to downgrade my wife! :)

So :lol:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9860769#post9860769 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by snommisbor
I would stay with the garlic. I actually chop up a half clove and feed it some during the week to mine. I also have a UV Sterilizer and I think that works great. A thread on Nano-Reef under Large Tanks has a guy who had some tangs on the verge of death covered in ich and he treated with all kinds of stuff and it never cleared it up. Once he bought the UV it cleared it up. He is a firm believer as well.

You chop of garlic put it in the tank? And they eat it? hmmm... I'm using Kent Marine Garlic Xtreme. Putting it on food and adding to tank.

He's still fat and happy and eating like a pig.. but he looks even worse than yesterday.

I use that as well but yes I actually chop up a half a clove of garlic. They will eat it. Some pieces will be a little big and they will eat it spit it out eat it and spit it out then finally get it small enough and consume it. My Kole looks like he may have a little spot on his dorsal fin towards the back and it is almost gone. After I started the garlic. I only do it maybe twice a week.

The fish really love the garlic on their Lasagna....but I only do that once a month...you know a lot of carbs can be bad. LOL

I have a blue tang (Dory) I have had her for 3 years she is my ick girl....her out breaks are only when something in her tank upsets her.....something new is added or even moved.....I have read where some Tang are like that stress over little things to us anyway I have cleaner shrimp but she will not let them on her but I bought a neon goby(they are a cleaner too) and she just loves him sooooooooo maybe that along with the garlic

Hmmm.... Interesting, I did just add some new clowns!

Yeah, I've got a cleaner too, and Blu won't let him near him, but seems to put up with the six-line.

Now the cleaner and the rabbitfish are a site to behold!

Kick Ich is hit or miss. With a small tank it is not to most costly. I did with sucsess in my 210. It was my only choice, it worked and lost nothing. The reason I used it was half of my fish had ich.

Back