Powder Blue tang

I had one a few years ago, I loved him. Beauitful fish.. Your other tangs might pick on him a little at first but you have a big enough tank it shouldn't be a problem.

They are pretty aggressive...expect him to be picked on at first but he should hold his own after he's settled in

They are very disease prone..[ich magnets]....strict 4 week qt should be used. Make sure to get a healthy one, one that is eating, good color etc... Many die for no apparent reason ..probably due to the stress of shipping and such...but if you get a good one, they can be quite hardy

yeah like bttrfly grl stated if you can get a good healty one they are a great fish. be very selective in getting one and if possible have the fish store hold him for a little while to make sure he is eating and a good specimen. This is definetly a fish you dont implulse buy. Just make sure he is healthy.

ask the LFS to hold him for a week for you. I have noticed most of them are going to kick it in the first week. I have heard that shipping stress kill off a culture in their gut so they cant digest food and slowly starve.. If you can put a small deposit and have your LFS hold the fish to make sure it is healthy you will stand a better chance of getting a decent fish.

No smokin'... ;) With the currents and weather this time of year a lot of things turn up. We've collected several species of filefish, sea horses, goatfish, a four spot butterfly, another butterfly that we haven't id'ed yet, a fish that may be a species of wrasse, several eels, scorpion fish, groupers and the tang. We typically catch a lot of short big eyes as well.

I believe it's an Atlantic blue, but it's only an inch long so it's hard to say for certain. I could be wrong. Time will tell.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7813520#post7813520 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Monkeyfish
No smokin'... ;) With the currents and weather this time of year a lot of things turn up. We've collected several species of filefish, sea horses, goatfish, a four spot butterfly, another butterfly that we haven't id'ed yet, a fish that may be a species of wrasse, several eels, scorpion fish, groupers and the tang. We typically catch a lot of short big eyes as well.

I believe it's an Atlantic blue, but it's only an inch long so it's hard to say for certain. I could be wrong. Time will tell.

We need pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOW

that tang would be dead within a day in that cold water. they could not survive in CA water which is a lot wormer than off the long island.

I own the store and only work there on Sundays. (I have a full time job during the week). I'll try to get a few pics and post them this weekend if not sooner.

Salty - If, for argument's sake, it's not a blue; what kind of tang do you thing it could be?

Atlantic blue tang IMO,
powder blue's are a Pacific fish, it would have to swim a long long way to get to long Issland. Atlantic blue surgeons on the other hand wind up there on a regular basis. great aquarium fish btw.

Oh fudge... I got confused somewhere. (smacks self in head) I had originally meant to state that it was an Atlantic not a Powder. Sorry for the confusion guys (so much for my multi-tasking skills). Anyway I 'll still try to get some pics of our local catches just for the heck of it. Maybe someone can help ID the filefish and the "maybewrasse." ;)

Had a PB Tang....very pretty fish, got him after a friend moved, been in a home aquarium for a couple years prior to my setup. Very pretty, very disease resistant for a PBT, but MEAN AS HELL. Made my purple tang seem like a nun. After he made life miserable for his tankmates for a couple months of jockeying fish/tanks/etc around to see if we could make a fit and a couple time outs in an acrylic critter keeper I traded him for a drop dead gorgeous Miniatus. All the sudden the tank he was in is way more chill all the fish are out and about/interacting more, etc. I may have to get a blenny or something to nibble the algae but enough of "tangs gone wild" for now.

Atlantic Blue's are very cool but DAM do they get MEAN!!!!

I had to take mine to the local store because he would kill anything I put in the tank. The Blue tang was 8 or so inches long & about 1 in thick & he killed a 10+ in emperor, almost killed my queen, killed 2 Naso tangs & caused a sohal to jump tank.

All were added at the same time to my 260g

He also killed a naso I had which was in the tank for a few years before the blue & was over 12 inches long. beat the crap out of him one day.......

Then at the local store where my tang now lives he was putting a fuscus trigger in his place.

Poweder Blue tangs are also sweet! It's just hard finding one that does well but if he's healthy he will try to rule the tank

Back