Powder blue tang

Not to be the tang police.....in fact I hate the tang police.......but you will soon find out for yourslef that the PB is one of those tangs that the size of the fish doesnt matter...they really do need more room than 4 feet

my 225 seems too small for my 5" pbt on some days.
there is an 8" chevorn in the tank and he is fine, but the pb is quite a bit more space demanding

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11339961#post11339961 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tmz
ANyone have bad experience with pbt nipping corals?

Not PBT but my damn hippo. But anyway hope you have better luck then me I have lost 2. I wont do PBT anymore.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11343116#post11343116 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by usmc121581
Not PBT but my damn hippo. But anyway hope you have better luck then me I have lost 2. I wont do PBT anymore.
:( Yeah I can't keep Cynarina or any open brain corals in the tank with the Paracanthurus hepatus(aka Dori per my grandson) .

I had a Powder Brown Tang in a 50g and she was always really happy. The only reason I don't have her to this day, is because during the tank transfer (upgraded tanks) she had an extreme ich break-out nearly over night, and I tried, but there really wasn't anything I could do...

I have seen a few powder blues in 48" 120g, 90g, and 75g, and all are happy, healthy animals. So I really don't see the threat.

One, thing that I did notice was this.....
Not to be the tang police.....in fact I hate the tang police.......but you will soon find out for yourslef that the PB is one of those tangs that the size of the fish doesnt matter...they really do need more room than 4 feet

my 225 seems too small for my 5" pbt on some days.
there is an 8" chevorn in the tank and he is fine, but the pb is quite a bit more space demanding

flyyyguy-That makes sense................"Not to be the tang police.....in fact I hate the tang police......." did you read this before you posted?

07kar93- I seem to remember, that about two weeks ago you made your first post in the nano-reefs forum asking about what nano setups were like, and really basic newbie questions, so I find it really interesting that you are giving information on a fish that IMHO, I don't think you have ever owned....

gary faulkner- from your profile, if you do infact have your PBT (at least if that is your fish as your avatar), in your 120, you have to realize the only difference between her tank and yours, is 6" in depth, and 6" in height. They both have about the same capacity for LR for the fish to hide and swim around in.

I think that everyone needs to be a little more understanding when making comments about someone's fish choices. I am sure that this is a fish that was well researched before it was bought, and it had a suitable home ready for it. Understandably, if this fish was to be given a home in a 55g or lower, it is clear why some would be upset, but I think most have to realize, that when someone buys a fish, they are not always impulse buys and have no idea why they are buying. And also, 9 times out of ten, you can ramble on about how a fish should not be put into a certain tank because it is cruel and inhumane, but most, will not consider taking it back or selling it, because they like their new $100 fish.

-Hope that wasn't too harsh, but you get the idea.......my $0.02

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11345534#post11345534 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefman13

flyyyguy-That makes sense................"Not to be the tang police.....in fact I hate the tang police......." did you read this before you posted?

whats your point? I was sharing my experience with my PB and the thing bounces off the walls of my 225 on its friskier days and its hte same 5" as they have.

I didnt say they shouldnt have it , just sharing my experience.

Were you harsh?? No. A little shortsighted and silly. sure. we are all however welcome to "our $.02. yourself included

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11342851#post11342851 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by weaselslucks
shikhyung i wanted a place where he could hide a sleep without putting LR in the QT tank
I guess this answer for njdevilsfan. I still wonder if PBT gets along with Yellow Tang, has anyone experience with this? Shin

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11345534#post11345534 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefman13

07kar93- I seem to remember, that about two weeks ago you made your first post in the nano-reefs forum asking about what nano setups were like, and really basic newbie questions, so I find it really interesting that you are giving information on a fish that IMHO, I don't think you have ever owned....

[/B]

I have friends that help out with the answers

I had a Powder Brown Tang in a 50g and she was always really happy. The only reason I don't have her to this day, is because during the tank transfer (upgraded tanks) she had an extreme ich break-out nearly over night, and I tried, but there really wasn't anything I could do...

I have seen a few powder blues in 48" 120g, 90g, and 75g, and all are happy, healthy animals. So I really don't see the threat.

One, thing that I did notice was this.....

gary faulkner- from your profile, if you do infact have your PBT (at least if that is your fish as your avatar), in your 120, you have to realize the only difference between her tank and yours, is 6" in depth, and 6" in height. They both have about the same capacity for LR for the fish to hide and swim around in.

I think that everyone needs to be a little more understanding when making comments about someone's fish choices. I am sure that this is a fish that was well researched before it was bought, and it had a suitable home ready for it. Understandably, if this fish was to be given a home in a 55g or lower, it is clear why some would be upset, but I think most have to realize, that when someone buys a fish, they are not always impulse buys and have no idea why they are buying. And also, 9 times out of ten, you can ramble on about how a fish should not be put into a certain tank because it is cruel and inhumane, but most, will not consider taking it back or selling it, because they like their new $100 fish.

Did you notice the 265 upgrade in my sig line?

You wouldn't know this but that is exactly why I'm doing the upgrade. The PBT is much too large for my 120 and it is definitely too large for a 75. I think that everyones posts were polite. No one wanted to say, take it back it's a mistake.

Check out some websites selling PBTs. I don't think you will find any recommending a 75 for a PBT.

It seems that most people know not to put a PBT in a 75.

I guess your not most people.

A Powder Brown in a 50. Good decision? I don't think so but that's just my 02

They really a beautiful fish. I got one that was supposed to be 3-4" inches b/c my other 2-3" Pacific Blue is getting bullied by a flamback angel. I thought a little bit bigger would help but they sent me a 4.5" inch fish for a 90gal. I think he's too big. I should have stuck with a baby/small and trapped the angel if needed. It's sad. This fish needs a lot of room. He looks like a convict pacing around in his cage. I might sell him and get a smaller one.

to get back on track, I absolutely LOVE pbt's. But, with a 75 and ich magnets, not for me.

Maybe someday, when I get that 360 gallon tank ;)

I'm really debating on putting one in my 180 reef tank. but they are very nice fish and it's good that your QT him.

LiveAquaria has a good QT system already. So your fish won't come with ich. You could also order a small one to give him room to grow. They have Pacific Blue's too. I was debating on whether or not to set up my own QT system till I read that you need to do this for 6-8 weeks to get rid of all the ich. Too much trouble. Costs the same to just get it from LAq. All you have to worry about then is acclimation and making sure it's ready to eat your food. I've had terrible luck with getting Tangs from LFS and I have two now from LAq. that are fine. I'd like to see long-term results for 6-12 months but I've only had them for 3-4 weeks so far. And they've been through a lot of stress with a new environment and a tank change. Ich free so far and really good color too.

There's some other really beautiful tangs too... powder brown, achilles, chevron.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11351028#post11351028 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SCIFI_3D_zoo
LiveAquaria has a good QT system already. So your fish won't come with ich. You could also order a small one to give him room to grow. They have Pacific Blue's too. I was debating on whether or not to set up my own QT system till I read that you need to do this for 6-8 weeks to get rid of all the ich. Too much trouble. Costs the same to just get it from LAq. All you have to worry about then is acclimation and making sure it's ready to eat your food. I've had terrible luck with getting Tangs from LFS and I have two now from LAq. that are fine. I'd like to see long-term results for 6-12 months but I've only had them for 3-4 weeks so far. And they've been through a lot of stress with a new environment and a tank change. Ich free so far and really good color too.

There's some other really beautiful tangs too... powder brown, achilles, chevron.

Don't count on LA to get you ich free fish.

QT or take your chances.

Some LFSs QT for you, just my experience.

I had similar experience as Scifi,I never seen any good healthy tangs at the LFS.I bought two tangs from Liveaquaria(Powder Brown and a Desjardini Saifin).Both were very healthy,eating and never got Ich.That was 3 months ago.

If you can find a LFS that will QT for you for 6-8 weeks .. for free.. that's a great store. Kool. I know for a fact... nobody I know of does that. THey do quick acclimations and that's it. They're in the biz of selling stuff quick, and if it dies, sell another one to the same sucker. They have such a high turnaround from people who are like... "oh, what a pretty fish, I want it". They have no idea what they're getting into. So by the time the problems start they've already gotten rid of the fish.

Now, it's not all their fault. People should educate themselves. All they're doing is selling the fish and there's nothing wrong with that. People should know to QT them, they should know if that's a good fish for their tank. IF a store wants to QT for a fee for you I couldn't even imagine how much that would cost. Say everybody started demanding this... it would shoot prices up a lot. And some of you would still rather do it yourself too. TRUE... you still take a chance getting parasites from fish OR corals. But I trust LAq. They're a big outfit. You can read about their QT process. It's quite elaborate and they don't mess with hyposalinity treatment. I read about how to do that and I was done with QT myself after reading that article.

LAq. prices are good too. I use to avoid them b/c the Diver's Den prices were extra. But all in all... they're fair... and regular items like Tangs are very competitive... + they're QT'd. I still shop around for things but... I'm not buying fish from LFS probably any more. I went all over Orlando, FL and Tampa,FL too.. not just this small town. "Some" of those places fish stock are just scarey. I can't believe years ago I use to buy that stuff. Didn't know any better.

HOWEVER, this is a good subject we should talk about more. Be open-minded to alternatives. My experience is not only early-on but just one opinion. Lets keep talking about it... unless some of you want to QT stuff for weeks. Not me.

Just to comment on the tank size with PBTs... We brought a vey small (2") PBT for our 100gal tank. He is now about 4", but is too fiesty for the tank and I am anxious for my new tank to be done because he constantly chases the foxface, the blennie and anyone who eats 'his' algae from the algae clip!

Damn. I'm screwed with this 4.5" PBT I have in a 90 gal. I hate to buy stuff like this and try and pass it off. I feel bad. It's odds of survival are gonna drop.

How long till yours doubled in size? Maybe I should just stick with Pacific Blues and other non-agg. ones.

To comment on the remarks about LiveAquaria's QT being all that's needed.

I will agree that LA is a great company to order from, but you have to factor in the stress of shipping, and the fact that these fish are not QTd alone there, and you never know for how long.

You should always quarantine your fish at home or at an LFS for a month or so to avoid risking infecting your entire display tank. Just my $.02.

....and Live Aquaria recommends no less than a 100 gallon tank for a PBT.

Back