Powder brown tang and lavender tang

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdharrington

Premium Member
Anyone have experience keeping these 2 together? They are both Acantharus tangs, and probably shouldn't be together ideally, but are also listed as 2 of the more peaceful tangs. I'm planning on adding a Powder Brown to my current 4" long 90g established reef tank, which has a yellow tang, the lavender tang, 2 clownfish, and a 6 line wrass. I was planning on getting some sort of separator for inside the tank when i first introduce the PBrown after the quarantine session. Anyone ever tried that?

Just an FYI, powder browns are not one of the more peaceful tangs. Lavender tangs, sure, but powder browns are some of the orneriest tangs you can get.

I would venture on the side of "no". Regardless of whether or not they are peaceful, that is to many tangs for a 90 gallon. Even "peaceful" tangs will become a bit more ornery when they are cramped.

Again, I'm just offering my opinion here. What you do is ultimately your decision.

Thanks for your input but i'm not asking if it's too many tangs. I'm asking about compatibility with these 2 species and if anyone has ever tried some sort of plexiglass divider when introducing a new fish that may be aggressive initially.

I wanted to put a lavender with my powderblue, but decided it was probably not a good idea. From all the advice given to me on RC the only way it might possibly work is in a very large tank. If a powderbrown is anything like my blue I would never even consider it. He is the boss and I do what he tells me to do.

The powder brown is the last fish added to the tank. If I get him. I guess I will try, and I can catch them easily if I need to - I have this great trap, all I have to do is put nori in it and the tangs go right in. I don't want any fighting. My lavender tang has been with me for a year and has never been agressive. The powder brown is coming from a guy who is more worried about the other fish beating up on it, so it's pretty shy. I'll let you guys all know how it works out. Theoretically if I can figure out a way to separate them with plexiglass initially while they get used to eachother it can reduce aggression. I'm going to try and do that.

Originally posted by sdharrington
Thanks for your input but i'm not asking if it's too many tangs. I'm asking about compatibility with these 2 species and if anyone has ever tried some sort of plexiglass divider when introducing a new fish that may be aggressive initially.

I guess you are planning on adding the additional tang despite the fact that many posters have advised you that you have too many tangs in such a small tank.

In fact, you don't even want to hear that, you just want to know if a divider will help a bad situation.

That is very odd behavoir for a veterinarian whom I would have thought would consider the welfare of the animals in her care as being of primary importance.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15492076#post15492076 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Macimage
I guess you are planning on adding the additional tang despite the fact that many posters have advised you that you have too many tangs in such a small tank.

In fact, you don't even want to hear that, you just want to know if a divider will help a bad situation.

That is very odd behavoir for a veterinarian whom I would have thought would consider the welfare of the animals in her care as being of primary importance.

agreed, it seems pointless to even offer advice. It appears your mind is made up either way.

FWIW, it is a terrible idea. But good luck anyway.

You guys are being pretty insulting. I do so much better for my fish than the average reefer you have no idea. For instance, I have never purchased a fish from a store. I have a quarantine tank. I have diagnosed and treated my fish for infectious diseases and saved them. It's really not fair of you to judge me. I am looking for anyone who has put these two together and had problems. I'm not asking if 3 tangs are too many for my tank. Those are 2 separate questions. Can you understand that? I do not agree with any categorical statement that 3 tangs are too many for my tank. I do know what I am talking about and I'm making an informed decision regarding the bioload, space available, and behavior characteristics of these fish. I don't expect you all to agree with me you have a right to your opinion but don't start insulting me and telling me I don't care about the welfare of my fish. That is not appropriate for this forum and I don't deserve it. I mean seriously, with all the jokes about tang police... come on!!!!

Last edited:
sdharrington, if someone came to you in your practice and asked your input on doing something you knew to be wrong, would you advise them on how to do it, or would you offer reasons why it is a bad idea?

Your stocking plans are poor, and the fact that others point this out to you is no reason to insult their input with the "tang police" comment. Do what you want, but don't expect people to agree with it. You aren't going to get anyone to advise you on how to do something they feel is wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back