Power outage

hbrochs

With the blizzard on the way, was curious to hear what people are doing to prepare in the event of a power outage. We don't have a generator, but was thinking about going out and trying to get battery operated airstones?

What are you doing to prepare if anything?

I think the battery-powered airstones are a great idea. With lots of spare batteries (if you can find batteries). Not sure what else you can do; I think some people wrap a blanket around the tank to try to minimize heat loss. Unfortunately, this might be a prolonged outage, and generators/gas cans are likely long-gone too.

Then again, maybe you won't lose power!

We have wood and natural gas fireplaces, so we can keep the house fairly warm.

I have a neighbor with a generator, so could heat up a batch of water over there, and do a heated water change.

I suppose that I should feed less, or not at all?

I don't think I'd personally feed much without the supplemental filtration running. Animal metabolisms slow down when the temps are cooler, I believe. I'd be really careful to avoid rapid temp changes with heated water.

if you have a long extension cord and a car - you can use a power inverter. A small one should be about $30 and would run a couple of DC pumps and a small heater.

The air stones will keep the water moving and oxygenated if appropriate for tank size & stocking. The other issue during an extended outage is heat. If you can't keep the tank room warm you need a power source to run the heater.

One way is to get a power inverter & run it off your car battery if the extension cord can reach. A 400w inverter will run 300w of heat. Use the correct cord & plenty of fuel. It might not work in an apartment since you're limited by cord length.

Or you might be able to get a propane heater if that would heat the room and if there hasn't been a run on them already. Be ready with blankets to cover & insulate the tank. Some have continuously poured heated water in the tank at regular intervals to keep everything alive.

Follow safety procedures while running an indoor heater or a running vehicle.

Back