(Powerheads) How much GPH in a 48" long 90g?

blackie lawless

Sorry if this has already been asked a million times, but the search button never works for me.

I am restocking my 90G and want some good flow/powerheads this time. I would go with Tunze, but I am afraid of blowing my fish around and stressing them. So I was looking at the Hydor Koralias.

I have it down to either one Tunze 6060 (is one tunze enough for my tank?), or two of the Koralias on opposite sides.

I want good flow that is gentle enough on my fish (currently a Naso Tang and 6 Chromis), but also good enough to keep a few SPS and Zoanthids.

So what GPH powerhead should I be shooting for? Its a 90Gal tank, 48" in length.

Thanks!

I have a 90 as well and use a mj12 with sureflow mod and mj 900 with sureflow mod and that coupled with the return it works great. you cant go wrong with Tunze. If i was willing to spend the money I would go Tunze.

I could afford a Tunze now (Thanks to my tax return), but #1, am afraid of how it will affect my fish, and #2, is one Tunze enough for a 90, or do I need two? I can't afford the Tunze's with speed control, so I gotta stay within my limits.

I use 2 K4's on my 55g SPS Dom. tank, and have no problems. My fish and coral love the flow. They are rated 1200GPH each. I also have a 2"SSB which does not get blown around. You just have to position them right.

Here's a lousy, washed out pic of my 90.
From left to right:
Tunze 6025(modded ~1200gph)
Tunze 6025(modded ~1200gph)
Vortech (full throttle at varied speed)
The Vortech is the workhorse of the tank and kicks out a nice undertow as well. The modded 6025 is a ton of flow for $60.

73125DSC01858.JPG

I have three powerheads on my 90g: two Tunze NanoStream 6045 (1189gph each) and one Seio 820 (820gph). Total of 3198gph or 35.5x turnover (40x if you include the ~500gph from the Mag 9.5 return).

The best current patterns tend to come from powerheads on opposite ends of the tank; placing one in the middle can sometimes work, but often ends up working against you (by canceling out flow from a corner powherhead). Here's a pic of mine so you can see the PH placement:

90FTS032708.jpg

Cool! I hadn't even see the Nano streams. Looks to be a better fit for what I want, and less money.

I guess I could always sell them on here if they don't work out.

I have a 90g and also have 3 powerheads plus flow from Oceanrunner 2500. I have a Koralia 3, MJ1200 modified and a Seio 820. I think you would definitely want more than one to get some i believe it is called laminar flow, especially if you are not using any kind of wavemaker.

I have a single 6010 Stream on my 86g, but I'm ordering a Maxi-Jet 1200 to get the other half of the tank where there is little flow.

Your fish will be fine. I have a 90g and have 2 Tunze 6100's and my return has a flow accelerator on it good for about 1000 gph.

Back