Powers Out!!! its not just our house either! AHHH! WHAT DO I DO!! hELP

lilleahseafreak

the power went out, i have a laptop so i have an hours battery charge on it.

the neighbors are out and so is the street light.

how long can my tanks last w/out power? (40 gallon acrylic, 23 gallon glass, 18 gallon glass, 8 gallon glass) and if the power is out longer than what is safe then does any one have a generator? (i live in carmichael) my dad does but he is at work and he works in the delta.

i don't know how long this will last. how long do generators run? if this is gonna be a long thing (we had no power for 3 days once before i had tanks when a drunk hit a pole) then is some one willing to hold onto my fish and corals for me?

i'm freaked!

i iwill come back to see if any one has replied as i need to turn this off to save the battery.

lilleahseafreak

beep! goes the microwave! powers back! i love how that thing beeps when it comes back on, helped alot when i kept blowing the fuze w/my 30+ lava lamps!

but what if it had gone out?

we should make some kind of powerouttage relief group....

Sk8r

Staff member
RC Mod
At Walmart go to the fishing section [sports] and get a bait bucket battery-powered bubbler for each of your tanks. Two or more for a really big one. This will keep things alive.

Another thing you can do [and should!] for your computers is get UPS systems, if you live in a region with spikey electricity---it's hard on the equipment. An Uninterruptible Power Source can be had at CompUSA, and you have to plug it in a day before it will work. YOu plug the computer into that and you have a power conditioner that sends power along to your computer, while continually recharging itself. If power goes, it can run your computer quite a while. AND it can run an ordinary airpump connected to a lot of small airlines with potent bubblers---which can save your bacon if you're in a longish outage. The tanks can live longer without light and skimming than without air.

duec22

Petco has really cheap battery powered air pumps that work great also. They are something like $8 each and last for about 24hrs.

BlueCorn

Retired
Premium Member
Yup - some Darwin award candidate hit a power pole at Walnut and Robertson.

The power was off for less than an hour but it was enough incentive to finally go buy a generator for just those types of things.

Nu2SW

THe power has been going off alot lately, Mine went off a few days ago, I dont know how long I wasnt home, but everything was blinking 12:00 and my FW filters were not working.