prazipro rendering nitrate test ineffective?

Hi

I'm currently treating my DT for parasites with prazipro. I went to check my nitrates (no3) and it is reading 100+ ppm on my salifert test kit.

Has anyone else run into this? I'm pretty sure my nitrates should be below 10, they were when I measured a week back.

Perhaps reef chemistry isn't the spot for this. Hmm.

I have no direct experience with this medication. The active ingedient might react with the diazonium salt formed in the nitrate test, but it is probably Too dilute to make a difference.

Your nitrates might really be high.

That didn't happen to me, I've dosed prazi into my DT 3 times and I kept a close eye on ammonia and nitrates because I had heard it might kill small worms as well as parasites. Also, I think prazi has a pretty short half life. I've heard 3 days for it to be gone entirely.

Are you seeing any effect on the animals that would indicate a nitrate spike?
Have you tested for other forms of nitrogen like ammonia and nitrite?
Is it possible an animal succumbed to the parasite before you could treat and is decaying in the tank?

I agree that the praziquantel probably is not affect the nitrate level or the test kit directly, but I can't be sure about that. You could try adding a bit of the medication to a gallon of fresh water and then check to see the effect.

So I apparently don't know how to use my Salifert test kit. When looking at it I should be dividing by 10.

So my 100-75 ppm nitrates = 10-7.5.

I had my LFS test it today, 5ppm nitrates. So that's good.

Thank you to everyone for their input.

Back